Balance bike or bike with stabilisers?

MelissaVF

So what is the deal and what would you recommend - balance bikes or stabilisers? Or try both and see which they (twins shortly to be 3) prefer? I learned with stabilisers and i can't remember any problems... And whilst I am debating either ors - arm bands or no arm bands for swimming? All helpful comments appreciated!

Balance bikes are brilliant. My only word of warning is they are heavy to carry if your twins refuse to go the whole way on their bikes.

My eldest went everywhere on his balance bike from 3 till about 4.5. It was amazing as he could suddenly go everywhere at adult pace. I can't decide whether to get them for my twins though as they can be bulky

Another vote for balance bike, but I agree about the comments that they can be heavy. I have one called Zooom, which is steel and really heavy, but on the plus side it is bigger than most so it should last until my son is almost 5. I wouldn't be able to carry 2 of them. My neighbours have a much lighter one made of aluminium (brand beginning with K, but I can't remember exactly) but it is also smaller. Their son grew out of it around 3.5.

On the plus side for stabilizers, they do slow them down which can be a good thing at times. My 4 year old can easily go faster than I can run (OK, I am 6 months pregnant...) on his balance bike.

Balance Bike. With stabilisers they need to ride in a way which is actually counter-productive to learning to ride a bike and steer using balance. With a balance bike they will learn to ride a bike without stabilisers extremely quickly.

If you might need to carry it, I would opt for a scooter on those journeys, anyway. And carrying a bike with stabilisers is v awkward.

Well-meaning MiL gave Little Saff a bicycle with stabilisers for xmas. Little Saff (3 yo) really liked it, but still doesn't have good enough coordiantion to ride it without adult help (even with the stabilisers!). Plus whenever she fell, she got tangled in the pedals and stabilisers, and badly bruised and scuffed by them.

So we had to put the pedal bike away :( and get her a balance bike :). She still sometimes has a fall, but at least she's not getting tangled up when she does. She can usually right herself without (too much) help. Luckily the pedal bike is adjustable for an older child, so we'll save it till she's learned how to balance on her little balance bike first.