Condensation ~ lime plaster/ventilation advice

mancity68

Our old, poorly insulated house has always suffered from heavy condensation on windows but we?re also start8 g to see the tell tale signs of mould in cold corners which we?ve never had before. I think one problem maybe due to someone repointing with cement rather than lime many years ago. And a high external ground level. I?d really like advice 9n repointing with lime and possibly increasing ventilation either through air bricks or positive ventilation systems? Anyone experienced similar and can recommend someone?

• 4 months later...
Condnsation of moisture on a cold wall is the issue, either insulate the wall to increase the temperature or ventilate your house to remove excess moisture. The victorians used to air their houses every day, something that we don't do anymore.

Hi Mancity68,

I am an Architect with interest retrofitting. This is this technical terms used to describe the upgrading of our homes fabric to create warmer more comfortable homes.

The main issue you and the others have touched on is the breathability of your property. As older properties were designed to require significant ventilation and also not to deal with modern sources of humidity such showers and kitchen appliances.

We are offering a reduced price consultation service at the moment in partnership with Key Homes ( links below). Where we come and survey a clients property and in partnership with the home owner create a bespoke retrofit plan that can be stage over a number of years. We advice on insulation, ventilation and heating strategies along with other issues such as planning and building control.

Happy to chat though this issue more.

Regards

James Rixon

020 8066 5788

https://www.rixon-architecture.com/retrofit

https://www.keyhome.io/waitlist

• 2 weeks later...

Archived