Holiday suggestions for toddlers

fergju

Hi

We have 15 month old twins girls and are looking to take them on holiday in the summer. I am lookng for some suggestions of the best places to visit. Ideally no more than a 3-4 hour flight from London with good beaches. I am not keen on putting them in a creche or activity club but might be useful to have a babysitting option for 1 night. What do people find works best with small children hotel vs self catering. Any suggestions appreciated.

Jules

Definitely self-catering. As well as more relaxed meal times you're more likely to have a separate space to go into in the evenings while the little ones are asleep. Our one experience in a hotel room was not much fun!

Don't have any tips on places to visit sorry but look forward to seeing what other people come up with.

Just remembered - have a look on here if you haven't already:

http://www.babyfriendlyboltholes.co.uk/

We are currently looking at Sardinia in June for our 3 year old and 7 month old ... Always fancied it and apparently great beaches and food.

I am looking at Lantana in the south - small family run place with self catering apts using hotel facilities... Near a beach and town... Flying easy jet 2 1/2 hours then its 20 miles from the airport

Anyone been? Looks perfect

we're heading to this place next month http://www.adrianhoteles.com/roca-nivaria/ (also from that babyfriendlyboltholes site) as it ticks the winter sun box + has an activity club that will take our nearly 2 yr old + has lots of good reviews on tripadvisor from families. we're getting a junior suite, so that we can put little one to bed while papa and I sit in the lounge and chill for the rest of the evening. booked the hotel direct and flights with BA, but I think some of the low-cost carriers fly to Tenerife too (we had air miles to use so stuck to BA)

although its not quite Sardinia, last year we went to sicily for a week when she was one and had such a lovely time. stayed in a self catering former fisherman's cottage right by the sea on the southern tip of the island. in may the weather was perfect - some days a little too hot, but mostly just perfect (mid-late 20s) for toddlers. the locals LOVED our baby so much, such a lovely fuss made of her and they don't give a hoot if she's out "late" (by uk standards) with you in a restaurant. will definitely return to the island one day!

It's been mentioned before on the EDF which is actually where we got the idea but Puerto Pollensa in Majorca last year was amazing!

We did self-catering but the hotel it was part of had activities for kids in the evening, we didn't really use it much to be honest - just took her out to restaurants with us and she happily ran around (was 18 months at the time - it's very family friendly, kids everywhere.) Also had a big procession thing in the square every night which was entertaining.

Word of warning though - we got a 1 bed apartment thinking we'd put her in the travel cot in the bedroom whilst we sat up in the lounge/balcony then transfer her to the lounge when we went to sleep. However, travel cot wouldn't fit through the door so she ended up having the bedroom for the week whilst we had to take the cushions off the sofas and sleep on the floor! (She's a very noisy sleeper so no chance we were all sharing the same room!)

Indiana - I am glad we are not the only ones putting the cot in the bathroom - when LO was 18month, I booked what I thought was a 1 bedroom B&B in Germany -it was a 1 room place! Luckily the bathroom was huge, otherwise we would have gone to bed very early indeed...

We went to this place when LO was 9 months and really enjoyed it: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/VacationRentalReview-g644244-d1675520-Apartment_in_private_residence_with_sea_view_a_c-Santa_Maria_di_Castellabate_Province_.html

mx