Sunday Times best place to Live - Dulwich?

Laur

swissjoel Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> East Dulwich is a DULL place to live. No soul, too

> many prams and white (upper) middle class

> wannabes.

A little harsh swissjoel there are other people of colour that live here too not all boring and have prams. It what you make of an area you live in.

swissjoel Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> East Dulwich is a DULL place to live. No soul, too

> many prams and white (upper) middle class

> wannabes.

A little harsh swissjoel there are other people of colour that live here too not all boring and have prams. It what you make of an area you live in.

swissjoel, Dull? have you ever been to switzerland?

East Dulwich (SE22) I don't think could be judged one of the best places to live - on the criteria stated ED would have no chance. Transport and secondary schools are both adequate at best in ED. I think taking into account Dulwich (ED and Dulwich Village/Parks) together then fine.

Criteria (Evening Standard excerpt) include: transport links, quality of schools, natural beauty, low crime rate, property prices and culture

Taking all of Dulwich into account I'd think

1) transport - adequate at best

2) schools - Dulwich is sometimes referred to as having good shools - excellent Private schools serve Dulwich village residents mainly or wealty families from further afield. This will be a very big positive for Dulwich. But state secondary schools are adequate at best - being the Sunday Times I don't know how important that will be.

3) natural beauty - the parks, peckham rye (se22) and dulwich park (se21) are very nice and accessable

4) crime rate - don't know - I guess it is low taking whole of dulwich into account

5) Property prices - compared to the opposition ED offers huge value as against the opposition (eg Chiswick), the Village is probably also still also cheaper - so as against the rest, Dulwich is still good value for money

6) Culture - Dulwich Picture Gallery is a big plus. No fixed theatre or cinema that I know of.

I can't see Dulwich winning. Having said all that, I'm happy here. ED is pretty good all round, with access to the benefits of SE21.

I only meant to make this short, but got carried away. :)

Here it is from the Sunday Times:

99 Dulwich, London SE22

Dulwich is a leafy, genteel haven amid the mean streets of south London. Indeed, Dulwich Village is almost too quaint for the Big Smoke ? it has old-fashioned timber street signs, a tollgate and a 72-acre park, all managed to perfection by the Dulwich Estate. The park is the stuff of Middle England fantasies, with a boating lake, a bowling green, tennis courts and a cricket pitch; the Dulwich Picture Gallery and its elegant cafe increase the sense of refinement. The high street has an Italian deli, but Lordship Lane is the real shopping hub, with a fishmonger (Moxon?s), a butcher (William Rose), a greengrocer (Franklin?s Farm Shop) and an artisanal bakery (Luca?s), as well as a Sainsbury?s and a library.

There?s no Tube, but there are trains to Victoria and London Bridge. And the schools make up for it: in addition to venerable private institutions such as Dulwich College and James Allen?s Girls? School, there are good state primaries (Hamlet, Dulwich Infant, Goodrich, Heber) and secondaries (Charter, Harris Academies).

Three-bedroom period homes start at about ?750,000; a large semi backing onto the park might go for ?2.5m. For the best value, look in East Dulwich, where a typical four-bedroom house costs ?630,000.

What the locals say

Our white picket fence needs a coat of paint, but we?re waiting for permission from the Dulwich Estate.

Why we love it

It?s the closest thing to country life in south London. Where are your wellies?

Hey,

i also read this article and I have a question to You. I will remove from city centre somewhere into suburbs because level of noise and pollution are intolerable. So i would like to live i place where is reltively quiet and i can braeth clean air for God sake. What is the average cost of renting an apartment(for couple)? Oh and in Dulwich are some club's? ;]