Tree pruning around Scutari/Therapia (again!) why?

Tree surgeons are pruning the same trees that were pruned within the last two years so yet again they will bear no blossom and look stunted. Our elderly neighbours are upset they may never see their trees blossom again! They had no overhanging or dangerous branches, seems a total waste of cash, anyone else with concerns?

also on Colyton road

I asked the Gristwood and Toms team earlier in week - said taking the "frizzle" off one tree ie all the little branches now coming into bud, completely cut down one of the big plane trees by the park 'because it has a cavity, and could fall down', ditto re the cherry at bottom of Scutari 'because it was diseased'

To G&T its just a job, but for us its a bit like losing an old friend

It's always good to question work from those that are qualified to give answers. Regarding the tree with cavities, well there are cavities and there are cavities. It depends greatly where the cavity is on the tree, it maybe in the crown and water penetration has worked it's way into the heart wood of a major limb or deeper into the trunk, for that reason the strength of the tree has been compromised.

Cavities in mature trees are invariably the result of poor or no formative pruning in earlier life, interestingly

I feel though, alternatives such as putting in drains for cavities to clear and heal are disregarded in favour of the more common and drastic solution of limb removal or felling. These operations are of course expensive and will run into several thousands of pounds per day for a team to work on a large tree.

It also depends on where the tree is positioned. Council public liability insurance will stipulate trees to be removed or to have high percentage crown reductions to err on the side of safety.

The council are responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of all street trees and public park trees. This will be backed by public liability insurance against claims for injury to person(s) or damage to property resulting from the councils negligence in having the trees properly and safely maintained.

edhistory Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> > Council public liability insurance

>

> Last I knew, the council don't do this.

>

> John K

Sorry, I was a bit unclear. I am not sure if the local authority underwrite their own liability or ever did. I think it more likely today at least that claims are underwritten by a firm of insurers, certainly since the advent of compulsary competative tendering. I'm happy to be informed otherwise though.

By the way, standards of workmanship and advice on procedures in work are set out by the Arboricultural Association.