All your real photos - the printed ones - on your computer

Hugfrancis

I offer a home visit service to put all your real printed photos onto your computer (Mac or Windows).

This is usually a laborious business - lifting the scanner lid, placing the photo, lowering the lid, clicking 'scan' etc.

I use a special 'photo scanner' which can scan up to 10 photos a minute, including any writing on the back of the photo.

Depending on your preference, I can install the software on your computer to run the scans, or on mine with an external hard drive, which we then use to copy the pictures onto your computer.

Why do this?

1. Real photos slowly lose their quality over time. Scanned at high resolution (eg 600 dpi), their quality is 'fixed' for ever.

2. Safety - real photos can be lost or accidentally destroyed. As well as storing your photos on your computer, they are also stored in the cloud - where they can never be lost.

3. Enjoyment. Unlike physical photo albums (or shoe boxes), digital photos are much easier to find and display in different groupings (or 'albums). And since most people have a large screen TV, why not also show them on this?

4. Sharing. Choose the photos you want to share with family or friends, using services such as Apple, Amazon, Microsoft or Dropbox.

If interested, we would need to first discuss the service you require. Options are:

? I use my computer, scan onto an external drive, which I give to you. I do all the scanning, in your home.

? I use your computer (after installing the software it requires). I teach you how to do the scanning, and most importantly, how to organise the photos once they are on your computer. You keep the scanner for as long as it takes.

Some prices.

Examples

? my computer and the scanner, in your home. One hour to arrange installation (including cloud backup), explain process, arrange photos to be scanned. Two hours scanning - between 600 to 1,000 photos. ?120.

? your computer, my scanner. One hour to install software, teach you how it works. Scanner left in your house for the rest of the day. ?80 (plus a deposit for the scanner).

About me: I have many years experience teaching and introducing adults (usually mature!) to technology - particularly Apple. Attached is an ad I used to run in The Spectator. As well as getting your photos scanned, you will almost certainly learn some useful things about computers (or iPads, or phones). I live in East Dulwich.

If you are interested, please send me a message, with your phone number and a day and time when I could call you to discuss.

Archived