Deliveroo and Pizza Express in DV - a rant

Langdale

ken78 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> well the amount of restaurant's on the apps and no

> one MAKES them go on it you have to ask yourself

> why do it ?

The people who make them go on it are the customers who can?t be arsed to order directly from the restaurant, instead choosing the convenience of the app - which costs them more money in delivery and service fees but they forget about that. The biggest success the apps had was to group all the takeaway places together on one page, so what you?re actually paying for is the convenience of scrolling through the options rather than searching out different places.

they're in business to earn money and

> they are not stupid.

No they?re not, they know the apps are screwing them over but they don?t have a choice.

and the mark up on fast food

> is a lot bigger then a lot of people think the

> cost of chips on Brockleys Rock is ?3.35, mushy

> peas ?2.55 so the mark up is quite good

And here?s yet another person who thinks they know the exact price of the raw ingredients, the cost of the equipment to process them, the size of wage bills these days, how much the energy costs to cook the stuff and what the business rates are.

Sorry mate, don?t take this badly but every time someone looks at restaurant prices and declares that the place *must* be making a big mark-up, I feel confident disregarding their opinion. Mark-up is NOT the same as net profit. Far, far from it.

j.a. Wrote:

> ken78 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> >

> > well the amount of restaurant's on the apps and

> no

> > one MAKES them go on it you have to ask

> yourself

> > why do it ?

>

> The people who make them go on it are the

> customers who can?t be arsed to order directly

> from the restaurant, instead choosing the

> convenience of the app - which costs them more

> money in delivery and service fees but they forget

> about that. The biggest success the apps had was

> to group all the takeaway places together on one

> page, so what you?re actually paying for is the

> convenience of scrolling through the options

> rather than searching out different places.

>

> they're in business to earn money and

> > they are not stupid.

>

> No they?re not, they know the apps are screwing

> them over but they don?t have a choice.

>

> and the mark up on fast food

> > is a lot bigger then a lot of people think the

> > cost of chips on Brockleys Rock is ?3.35, mushy

> > peas ?2.55 so the mark up is quite good

>

> And here?s yet another person who thinks they know

> the exact price of the raw ingredients, the cost

> of the equipment to process them, the size of wage

> bills these days, how much the energy costs to

> cook the stuff and what the business rates are.

>

> Sorry mate, don?t take this badly but every time

> someone looks at restaurant prices and declares

> that the place *must* be making a big mark-up, I

> feel confident disregarding their opinion. Mark-up

> is NOT the same as net profit. Far, far from it.

as you DON'T KNOW what i do for i living you are the one who DON'T KNOW what you are talking about as help supply a LOT independent food out lets AND pubs so before you SHOUT about another member i.e me MATE and if YOU to know the as you say "exact price of the raw ingredients" if YOU KNEW ANYTHING about this trade you would know the prices change week buy week have you ever thought that a chippy say we now frying new crop potatoes and the price goes up but never comes down why ?? you should KNOW THIS MATE as you know every thing else

ken78 Wrote:

> j.a. Wrote:

> -----

> > ken78 Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > >

> > > well the amount of restaurant's on the apps

> and

> > no

> > > one MAKES them go on it you have to ask

> > yourself

> > > why do it ?

> >

> > The people who make them go on it are the

> > customers who can?t be arsed to order directly

> > from the restaurant, instead choosing the

> > convenience of the app - which costs them more

> > money in delivery and service fees but they

> forget

> > about that. The biggest success the apps had

> was

> > to group all the takeaway places together on

> one

> > page, so what you?re actually paying for is the

> > convenience of scrolling through the options

> > rather than searching out different places.

> >

> > they're in business to earn money and

> > > they are not stupid.

> >

> > No they?re not, they know the apps are screwing

> > them over but they don?t have a choice.

> >

> > and the mark up on fast food

> > > is a lot bigger then a lot of people think

> the

> > > cost of chips on Brockleys Rock is ?3.35,

> mushy

> > > peas ?2.55 so the mark up is quite good

> >

> > And here?s yet another person who thinks they

> know

> > the exact price of the raw ingredients, the

> cost

> > of the equipment to process them, the size of

> wage

> > bills these days, how much the energy costs to

> > cook the stuff and what the business rates are.

> >

> > Sorry mate, don?t take this badly but every

> time

> > someone looks at restaurant prices and declares

> > that the place *must* be making a big mark-up,

> I

> > feel confident disregarding their opinion.

> Mark-up

> > is NOT the same as net profit. Far, far from

> it.

>

>

> as you DON'T KNOW what i do for i living you are

> the one who DON'T KNOW what you are talking about

> as help supply a LOT independent food out lets AND

> pubs so before you SHOUT about another member i.e

> me MATE and if YOU to know the as you say "exact

> price of the raw ingredients" if YOU KNEW ANYTHING

> about this trade you would know the prices change

> week buy week have you ever thought that a chippy

> say we now frying new crop potatoes and the price

> goes up but never comes down why ?? you should

> KNOW THIS MATE as you know every thing else

Offs... who really gives a

ken78 Wrote:

------------------------------------------------------

> as you DON'T KNOW what i do for i living you are

> the one who DON'T KNOW what you are talking about

Well obviously I don?t know what you do for a living, how would I? What I did know is that you asserted that fast food restaurants are all making a killing which is, charitably speaking, out of touch with current economic trends.

Speaking for myself I?ve got over twenty years in kitchens, the word Michelin on my CV, and I do GP calculations every working day.

> as help supply a LOT independent food out lets AND

> pubs so before you SHOUT about another member i.e

> me MATE

Only person shouting here is you.

and if YOU to know the as you say "exact

> price of the raw ingredients" if YOU KNEW ANYTHING

> about this trade

As I pointed out, I know quite a lot.

you would know the prices change

> week buy week

Well, yes, of course.

have you ever thought that a chippy

> say we now frying new crop potatoes and the price

> goes up but never comes down why ??

Because the cost of ingredients isn?t the only factor in the business. Wages, business rates, energy bills (you?ve heard about those), paint on the walls, the petrol in the van and so much more. Everything constantly goes up. Also when when one thing goes down, other stuff might still be going up. The general trend is for costs to increase at least in line with inflation, so the prices keep going up.

you should

> KNOW THIS MATE as you know every thing else

I don?t know literally everything on this planet, but I will defend independent operators who are subtly - or not so subtly - accused of gouging customers when the reality is that this business is notorious for its razor-thin profit margins.

Possibly because they have a dream and idea that they can make it

The attrition rate in the restaurant business is very high so whilst a lot open, some will succeed and a lot will close

Sadly if they offer cheap food, it's often because they use cheap or poor quality ingredients to produce it. But regardless why should the delivery firms profit massively on their backs.

I?d say most restaurants on Deliveroo aren?t Michelin rates either. What?s your point Ken?

You tried to say ja doesn?t know what they are talking about but they clearly do. And they are way more graceful and polite than you. So what?s your actual point ?

I thought the question we wanted the answer too was the difference in price if you buy via deliveroo, the restaurants own app or in person.

Got to say as GenX I use email, hate teams and get my food in person LOL

I get the attraction of using the apps

(pretending everyone wants to cook fro scratch or eat healthily all the time is one thing. But come on - reality)

Using an app removes all of the hassle of communication (in London especially that can go both ways - caller and hassled restaurant worker) - plus you end up with verifiable proof of what was ordered in case of "misunderstanding"

But the cut required by these apps is extortionate and unsustainable - people who want the convenience should be the ones paying the extra, not the restaurant

Saying restaurants can simply "opt out" is naive - as others have pointed out - someone using these apps for the smorgasbord of choice won't even KNOW a restaurant not on the app exists - even if the restaurant goes to the bother of pushing flirs/offers through the door. These apps ARE the marketplace now - so expecting restaurants to just click their fingers and reduce costs/wages by 30% is pretty offensive

What did they do before the app any one know ? what's worse than the app is how you pay amx has a big charge but as we all use it is ok. and is jamie oliver the only one that went skint that's not bad,,, Sephiroth don't you know that a lot of restaurants put up the price on the apps ?

Sephiroth Wrote:

> I?d say most restaurants on Deliveroo aren?t

> Michelin rates either. What?s your point Ken?

>

> You tried to say ja doesn?t know what they are

> talking about but they clearly do. And they are

> way more graceful and polite than you. So what?s

> your actual point ?

ja did say i did not know what i was talking about first have you not read the first post? or just assuming. he don't know what i do for a living as i said my point IS any food out let DON'T have to go no the app its their choice the same as its your choice to use it, why do you think the food out lets are on the app,to keep up with times no its business,as for staff wages most pay minimum wage and we know that you can't live on that and that's why they have a big turn over in staff, it's not hard think about it, and Sephiroth it was ja who brought up Michelin so come on if you want to post on this READ IT FIRST

ken78 Wrote:

> What did they do before the app any one know ?

> what's worse than the app is how you pay amx has a

> big charge but as we all use it is ok. and is

> jamie oliver the only one that went skint that's

> not bad,,, Sephiroth don't you know that a lot of

> restaurants put up the price on the apps ?

Ken, whilst this is an old article, it does go through some of the major chains that went bust inckudion Byron, zizzi, cafe rouge... well worth a flick before saying "one going out of business isn't bad"

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/restaurant-chains-collapsed-restructured-cut-23220328

Before the app, people rang up, or walked to the restaurant but now it's feeding obesity by allowing you to lay in bed and order, for example, a McBreakfast where as before you may have picked one up as part of your commute which involved walking.

The app companys are the ones who introduced us to zero hours contracts for their delivery people and yes you can scroll through many restaurants on one app but guess what, put the search "restaurants near me" in any browser search bar returns , wait for it as its a huge surprise, a list of restaurants near you 🤔

Apps that sit between the consumer and the business aren't there for the sake of either, they are there to make huge amounts of money, be it delivery apps, comparison apps, or even cashback apps, they don't do it for the love of you or the product, they do it to make cash, capture your data (which they may or may not sell on) and build a marketing profile about you so they can sell you more.

Don't be an app clone, get out discover places you wouldn't have before and remind yourself how to think for yourself rather than being told what to think and eat

🤫

Spartacus DID YOU READ my post ?? i don't thinks i.e ......never see a michelin chef skint ......and i don't think the major chains the you said are MICHELIN i don't know .. and as you say before the app we used to walk to the food out lets, bit things change i have a remote for my tv so i don't have to get up i can order my shopping on line now so as i say thing's change.is it so wrong for a business to earn money or should be in business to lose money the apps are a business in it to earn money like all businesses. i am not as you say an app clone but you seem to know a lot about the apps so is you that is the app clone who knows???

ken78 wrote:

------------

> ja did say i did not know what i was

> talking about first have you not read

> the first post? or just assuming. he

> don't know what i do for a living

You're a butcher. So what?

Sorry Ken

Obviously no point discussing this with you as you seem to know it all.

Guessing that you already knew that M?os, an unconventional and experimental Shoreditch dining room, which earned a Michelin star in 2019, has announced it closed at the end of April 2022.

I guess you already know that over the years so many Michelin Star restaurants have failed as well (apparently chefs and business aren't known for mixing well)

But hey ho, we will all bow to your knowledge and accept that food businesses all make huge profits because ingredients are cheap and some actually grow on trees 🌳😉