Ukraine war

Sydney Carton

JohnL Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It's amazing how quickly people just accept an

> ongoing cold war and the constant threat of

> obliteration.

I don't think they have, from discussions with friends the fear of this going nuclear is scaring the cr@p out of most of them.

Sydney's now deleted post asked why we are involved as we don't have a dog in the fight. The concept is that if many countries can help stop Ukraine from being taken then it will also prevent more countries bring invaded. It's akin to the question "what if Hitier was prevented from taking Poland?" Could ww2 have been contained or thwarted before it really started ?

People are concerned but apart from protesting, taking in refugees from Ukraine, the real way to help is what is already being done by many countries, supplying defensive weapons, economic sanctions and weaning away from any dependency on Russia.

More can be done to "sting" the bear I'm sure but I'm guessing measured steps are the way and seeing what each step brings (good or bad) before the next one is better then running head long into doing everything and realising that half the effort would have achieved the same.

Regardless it will take decades (at least) before any nation trusts Russia again which is sad for the Russian people as they will be the ones who suffer sanctions and financial hardships due to the ambitions of one man.

Why haven't all Russians in the UK been rounded up and sent to an internment camp in the Isle of Man as with Germans and Italians in the second World War, whether they supported Hitler etc or not, and many clearly didn't.

A facetious comment of course but it does interest me the position of the Russian ex pat community.