Gala packing up on Peckham Rye

If mess/litter/ damage is left within the curtilage of the business, it is the business that will tend to clear up or foot the bill for damage and later claim on insurance or against the client (ie a rock star trashing a hotel room).

If a venue is hired out for say a party, it is generally the venue owners who organise a clean-up afterwards (factored into contract for hire and cost to the client). If they didn't the venue would probably cease to be an attractive hire option. In similar vein, the Rye is an attractive venue, pleasing to the eye and WATF spin this as added value in their marketing.

I think the more general point you are making about the relationship between big business, consumerism and littering is worthy of debate but not especially pertinent here. However terrible the behaviour of the Gala punters there is a contractual mechanism in place to counteract that and which can and should be honoured.

Southwark Council conditions for those hiring Peckham Rye Park and COmmon

'8. Waste

All event organisers must ensure that the space they are hiring is returned to the state that

they find it in at the start of the period of hire. If the Council are required to undertake any

cleansing, or reinstatement works that have not been pre-agreed as a consequence of an

event taking place, the costs for the works will be recharged to the event organiser.' https://www.southwark.gov.uk/assets/attach/11025/Peckham-Rye-Park-and-Peckham-Rye-Common-site-information.pdf

I noticed a sign on railings this evening apologising for the rubbish and that the Gala management team are still working on the clean up! Hopefully the screws, nails, bolts etc will all be picked up as dangerous for humans and animals

I spotted a lone man earlier in the area opposite the Harris Academy with what looked like a hand held, petrol engined leaf blower, but which was probably a vacuum type device, so maybe that's their solution? There was a lot of coloured confetti in exactly that area, so I'm guessing that's what he was clearing up. But that's the wrong spot - should be over near Colyton Road...

Absolutely shocking! The cigarette butts are the main culprit and rightly so!

Try dropping a cigarette butt outside Brixton Tube Station.

Southwark seem to have become very lapse on their environmental issues, especially street cleaning, drain clearing and littering situations.

Southwark has definitely deprioritised this agenda and whilst a lot of people will cite ?funding cuts?, from what I can see, they don?t compare well to comparable boroughs, so there is an element of choice here. When you have the basics not being covered off, like bins overflowing in the same spot every week, this tells me that they?ve accepted this situation and have very little appetite to do anything- I?m fairly sure no one ever gets fined for littering in Southwark.

I am a smoker and carry a small container for butts if there is no ashtray/bin handy

-------------------------------------------------------

> Shame on anyone who attended and dumped their

> junk, including ring pulls and ciggie butts...no

> excuse.

>

> Actually, in a crowd, extinguishing and then

> pocketing a cigarette butt is easier said than

> done - the organisers should provide sufficient

> waste bins for people to dispose of their debris

> 'locally'. And safely. And (if they didn't) employ

> loads of litter pickers at the event - not just to

> pick-up litter but to act as a visual reminder to

> 'guests' that they need to police their own

> litter. As it gets dark finding and disposing of

> debris becomes more difficult - and half the

> crowd, in my experience, won't have any pockets to

> take away litter even if they wanted to.

I have seen improvements regarding bins, etc. Southwark responded to my request that litter collectors put their plastic bags full of litter on top of bins where they can - apparently, according to a Southwark employee, agency staff were not told this. As for the parks, bigger bins have been put in Dulwich and Peckham Rye parks, so that is a good response though I would like to see more fines for people witnessed to have littered. There is nothing stopping anyone from picking up the odd bottle or can; lamenting that it is not one's job to do that is just a waste of time, IMHO.