Southwark Council cutting back trees on Lordship Lane

An Amber warning has been issued by The Met Office for Sunday 17 and Monday 18 July and Southwark Council decided to cut back our lovely trees on Lordship Lane - unbelievable and infuriating!

Southwark Council mission statement on their website is "we value trees as a vital component of the borough’s landscape"!

Do you believe it!

Spare a thought for those of us whose flats are very dark and have branches tapping against our windows because the trees are only rarely pruned.

There are also issues with tree roots of these young but already very large trees causing damage to water pipes and foundations.

Although the plane trees are beautiful trees, I think it was a poorly thought out plan when they were originally planted. They still have a lot of growing to do and will need ongoing maintenance.

I'm all for trees but the right tree in the right place is really important.

Slightly off topic but I came out of the ED PictureHouse a few years ago to find that TFL had borrowed an open top double decker bus to do the tree trimming down the Lane. I got some great, but slightly fuzzy photos. This was the inside of the bus. April 2016.

14F84F68-97FC-4A8A-B1D3-5F51CCA1A689.thumb.jpeg.1fe985cec280631808c6d1061519ebe0.jpeg

D63EFDC4-4964-47C4-8D32-2A0984AC0D4B.thumb.jpeg.40031107932c524f5df0ba94a5ee8f90.jpeg

I have a huge tree that’s only fit to be in a park outside mine. It’s huge, I have to have my lights on during the day as it takes any light and can’t grow anything in window boxes. I pay to permit park yet my car is covered in birds poo and itchy dust. The kerb is disturbed and if you park next to the tree you can’t get out of the car. Despite numerous requests to have it removed or at least cut back nothings been done. Seems only those in the village get any kind of service.

Good tree management is a realistic part of any council's tree policy. Southwark has planted up to 11 000 trees recently, according to its own figures. Don't think that careful and considered action is the same as eco vandalism.

Why not plant a tree yourself? Split open a pear or apple, plant the seeds in a pot or put them on damp tissue in a jam jar, and you'll likely get at least half of them sprouting. It'll take a little longer than posting on a website but don't let that put you off.

There is a massive oak tree in the grounds of Dulwich Plough which badly needs 'a trim', I vaguely remember it being cut back around 10 years ago. Its branches are right up against the upstairs bedroom windows and knocking against the chimney stack.

An Amber warning has been issued by The Met Office for Sunday 17 and Monday 18 July and Southwark Council decided to cut back our lovely trees on Lordship Lane - unbelievable and infuriating!

Southwark Council mission statement on their website is "we value trees as a vital component of the borough’s landscape"!

Do you believe it!

Yes; and I have no reason not to.