Cost of living crisis - practical advice, signposting & ideas: heating & eating etc.

IlonaM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still haven't turned the heating on. We've managed millenia without it so why grumble when it's still +0° outside on a so-called cold night in London.

Anyone else happy with their long-johns, etc. ? I'm no Edwina but FFS people, man up.

It's not at all cold

2 hours ago, SpringTime said:

Still haven't turned the heating on. We've managed millenia without it so why grumble when it's still +0° outside even on a cold night in London.

Anyone else happy with their long-johns, etc. ? I'm no Edwina but FFS people, man up.

It's not at all cold

Edited by SpringTime
Everything

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

And the daily standing charge for electricity to RISE by 65%, an absolute outrage, to pay for the non payers and defaulters, absolute disgrace that Ofgem has done this and the news was only broken by Martin Lewis yesterday. 

Scrap Ofgem, thought they were supposed to be on the side of the consumer but the last 2 1/2 years has proved that is anything but the case. 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

• 3 weeks later...

Nighttime temperatures this coming week in SE London are due to be in double figures. Is anyone actually still using central heating or is it about time to be opening the windows? (If you're not already doing so...)

I'd like to turn ours off ASAP.  Separately I am a bit grumpy about government's campaign on heat pumps, we need to sort the insulation out first.  And why are we still building houses with gas central heating and no heat pumps such as the new development in Dulwich Village.  OK this is wider discussion on the Lounge.

On 10/03/2024 at 22:32, malumbu said:

I'd like to turn ours off ASAP.  Separately I am a bit grumpy about government's campaign on heat pumps, we need to sort the insulation out first.  And why are we still building houses with gas central heating and no heat pumps such as the new development in Dulwich Village.  OK this is wider discussion on the Lounge.

I can't believe we still flush perfectly clean water down the toilet! Grey water systems should be mandatory too

On new builds absolutely.  Harvesting rain water too.  More challenging to retrofit.  We water some plants but  certainly not the garden, but even with 300 litres capacity that will not last all summer, then it is syphoning bath water and got to move the taste of soapy water.