Ponies by Burgess Park.

Selma

Now I know this is not East Dulwich, but considering the numbers of people that cycles from East Dulwich to the City that would pass them, someone might know.

At the end of Canal Route, coming up to Glengall Road, there are a two ponies there and there have been for a number of weeks. The land looks like it belongs to the council and it looks like very temporary set-up for them (rope as a gate and an old water tank for their drinking water). I presume it belongs to some travelers, but maybe someone else knows more?

There is a small stables at the Willowbrook Centre, on Willowbrook Road (it is the big white house - used to be the canal keepers house - with the big veranda next to the canal path which houses about 3 or 4 horses - I used to work in the Centre at one of the voluntary organisations based there. A couple of local people own the horses and they exercise them on Burgess park and sometimes let them graze there. Peckham has a history of working class people - not travellers - owning horses in the area although I think now this is the only stables left in the area.

A couple of years ago, there were also two ponies in the same patch. After about a month, a poster went up claiming the council had evicted them. I thought they belonged to the semi-permanent houses next door.

I thought it was a shame at the time since that bit of wasteland isn't used for anything else and lots of children enjoying seeing them. The piece opposite is also empty and overgrown. Having said that, I'm not sure I would support large parts of the park being enclosed.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Discussions

• The end of a decade and a half of gaslighting, they must be exhausted. Oh boy, are we going to hear some coercive BS in the next 6 weeks. For some reason they don’t seem to be boasting about how well we are doing in education, crime and policing, fishing, agriculture, health, prisons, trade, trade agreements, immigration, transportation, utilities (including water), amongst other things. They seem to be focussing on exporting individual ‘illegal’ immigrants to Africa for more than it costs to take a journey into space. And rainbow-coloured lanyards for use within the civil service. I wonder why?🤔    
    • If you have a campervan (windows all round, seats in) they’re treated just like cars - come unannounced as often as you need. So I think it’s a way to avoid commercial interests’ abuse of the service. Imagine if you provided a local clearance service, you could empty peoples gardens and houses and take it straight to the dump and have nothing to pay. 
    • Gutted to miss out on the title in the end and fall down to fourth at the last! Thanks for running it - took me a while to get to grips with the format but came on strong in final few months. Look forward to next season!   JamesM
    • If you can access Facebook, there are many groups on there for different things. it may be helpful searching for groups on there. i joined a few groups on there myself which helped me with my health issues. it was these groups that made me realise I wasn’t the only one suffering with side effects & some women were worse off than me. hope that helps
Home
Events
Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Search
    Search In