Subsidence issues in SE22 / looking to buy

AMRM

My wife and I are considering buying in East Dulwich, but the surveys reported risks of subsidence and insurers see the Se 22 area as a risk.

One house in particular had minor subsidence 11 years ago (no underpinning required) and we are struggling to find an insurer that would take it

Did anyone have subsidence experiences in the area? Did you find an insurance that works for you?

Any suggestions/ things to look out for?

Also- let us know if you know someone is looking to sell a 4/5 bedroom home!

Thanks!

I had an issue in SE22 around that time; my downstairs neighbour's basement flat extension had partly separated from the main building because of subsidence, so I in effect was prevented me from selling my top floor flat until fixed. Whether that basement flat extension was poorly executed in the first place, I do not know. It took several years to resolve (partly due to the owner being abroad, and the insistence of their insurer on removing trees and "waiting to see what happens"), and I sold up and moved on shortly after.

The clay soil means that in this area it’s not a case of if a period property had subsidence but when; as long as you can continue the existing insurance (and they’re obliged to keep insuring it) then it’s fine! Or at least, if this is a concern for you then probably best not to consider the area at all…

• 6 months later...