Increase in Lime Bikes on LL

Bic Basher

Why has Southwark designated the space outside St Christopher’s Hospice main charity shop in Lordship Lane as a Lime bike park? This shop depends on donations that often have to be delivered by car. Parking in nearby roads can be difficult. Surely along the length of Lordship Lane there are more appropriate sites for the bikes which some businesses might welcome. It seems really mean and thoughtless to restrict the delivery space outside the Hospice shop.

Does anyone know how much Southwark Council is being paid to have Lime bikes in the Borough?

Southwark have also designated space right outside the entrance of a small church on Barry Road. The elderly are dropped off there as are children so it is very inconsiderate and inconvenient. Is there a formal process to complain and challenge the choice of designation? 

Yes I stand corrected, I think a lot of people were putting Lime bikes in the space in front of Superdrug. What I couldn't help but notice today was that on Hansler another e-bike and e-scooter Bay has gone in near Lordship Lane and next to it are two bars for people to lock their private bikes. But the two bars are hemmed in by raised kerbs that jut out into the road with two huge bicycle signs on them. They could have added three more bars in the space of the raised kerb.

I couldnt help but think why is it the council devotes so much space to commercial hire companies yet doesn't do the same for private bike owners? Maybe the commercial aspect takes precedent but commercial space seems to outnumber private by a significant factor.

21 hours ago, Glemham said:

Why has Southwark designated the space outside St Christopher’s Hospice main charity shop in Lordship Lane as a Lime bike park? This shop depends on donations that often have to be delivered by car. Parking in nearby roads can be difficult.

I happened to go down this stretch of Lordship Lane today. The rental bike space is outside the Dulwich Cafe, next to the charity shop, isn't it? The car parking spaces in front of the charity shop were filled with parked cars - like normal.

DKHB yes it is. Its not actually blocking any spaces in front of the charity shop but outside the cafe so makes sense for them to be there rather than cluttering up the pavement in front of Suoerdrug. Probably a case now to remove the e-scooter parking in front of Superdrug as the one outside the cafe is for both bikes and scooters and repurpose the space outside Superdrug for private bikes.

Last week, I actually got a warning from Lime for parking in front of the electricity sub-station on Chesterfield Grove, so they're actually doing something about poor parking.  I parked there as it didn't block the pavement for pedestrians.

This was followed on Friday when I purchased a Lime Pass for the weekend with a pop-up informing me about how to park properly, so ended up parking on the other side of Chesterfield Grove today with two other bikes.     All that for a quick 5 min shop in M&S.

18 hours ago, Nigello said:

The app allows you to send an image and location details of badly parked e-bikes and e-scooters. I used it twice today…

That's interesting - but do you mean the app itself or just the website? I'm asking because reporting through the website is very cumbersome with lots of fields that need to be completed, while renting a bike through the app is in contrast very easy - just point and snap. I can't see a reporting function through the app - but maybe I don't have the latest version.

18 hours ago, malumbu said:

What are they like to cycle Bic?

It depends on the bike.   Some like to give you a work out while others are more like riding a 750cc moped.  The saddle is hard though.

Personally I prefer the HumanForest bikes which still give you the feeling of exercise while the e-assist is just enough to climb the hills.  Beauval Road is a great test for those e-bikes to see if they can handle steep hills.

I think the HF ones look much nicer. I'm not wild about the lime green colour.

I have not tried one yet as have my own non powered bike. Do the Lime bikes give quite a lot of assistance? The attraction is in getting up the significant hills either end of ED😊

Edited by first mate

5 hours ago, Nigello said:

The app is a doddle. I don’t use the actual e-bikes but have it to report badly parked/poo-smeared ones! 

Ahh, I've found it. It's not bad. If anyone else has the app and is looking for it - click on the little outline of a person in the top left hand corner; then click "help"; then click "improper or illegal parking"; then scan the QR code of the vehicle, and upload photos.

Reported vehicles show up on the map with a little diamond icon - meaning that if a user rents it and parks it properly at the end, they will get a discount on the rental fee.

Personally, since my company car was stolen a month ago I’m using them all the time, beats lugging a heavy satchel to the station whenever I use the train to work.  They are hit and miss though, maybe as a result of being jacked I’ve had a few which won’t unlock, sometimes when you can end the ride immediately and they don’t charge as the bike obviously hasn’t moved a metre but then when the same thing happened to the next bike I got charged.  There’s no option to inform them that this had happened as all the feedback is based on the actually journey, brakes, acceleration, etc.  When they work they’re great, riding into a headwind or low hill is easy.  I was looking forward to going up College Road to Crystal Palace on Saturday but just after Sydenham Hill Station is a grey zone where they cut out, something I wasn’t aware of and thought you could use them London wide which was a pain and so can’t comment on how they perform on a steep hill. They are abused parking wise though, it’s great to be able to cycle to your front door but even on my quiet road they’re all over the place, one even parked in the middle of it on Saturday night. Having dedicated parking docks would defeat the object unless there’s one on every street, a lot of the badly parked ones are those likely to have been jacked as well. I suppose fines for bad parking is the only answer but that’s open to abuse by Lime who’ll fine willy nilly as as income raiser.

4 hours ago, first mate said:

I think the HF ones look much nicer. I'm not wild about the lime green colour.

I have not tried one yet as have my own non powered bike. Do the Lime bikes give quite a lot of assistance? The attraction is in getting up the significant hills either end of ED😊

You get a lot of assistance with the Lime Bikes.    Beauval Road and Dog Kennel Hill are a breeze on them.   I haven't dared tried riding a Lime or HumanForest bike up Camberwell Grove yet!   Despite being busier roads, I prefer to go up Denmark Hill, Champion Grove and Grove Lane to reach the top of DKH coming from Camberwell.

The furthest I've riden on a hire bike so far is Walworth Road which took about 20 mins.

On 02/07/2023 at 18:39, Nigello said:

The app allows you to send an image and location details of badly parked e-bikes and e-scooters. I used it twice today…

I did a little experiment of reporting yesterday and:

1) although the app captures the location of the bike when you create the report, I have received an (automated?) follow up email asking me to supply the location of the bike

2) there seems to be a maximum number of reports you can make per day, maybe around 10...which is a problem when there is a broken or badly parked bike every bloody fifteen steps!

On 02/07/2023 at 16:25, Dogkennelhillbilly said:

I happened to go down this stretch of Lordship Lane today. The rental bike space is outside the Dulwich Cafe, next to the charity shop, isn't it? The car parking spaces in front of the charity shop were filled with parked cars - like normal.

Actually, I was wrong about this. I walked past again yesterday - I hadn't realised how long the bike bay was. It does in fact go 2 or 2.5 metres across the charity shopfront too. Apologies.

41 minutes ago, Pugwash said:

Lime Bikes in Barry Road were being removed yesterday by the Lime Bike company - someone spoke to the guy who said that he was picking up around 100 a day.

Knowing Uber/Lime, that's almost certainly not Lime doing anything, but one of its totally independent, definitely not a disguised worker subcontractors. The gig economy is rough.

On 03/07/2023 at 21:33, Dogkennelhillbilly said:

Reported vehicles show up on the map with a little diamond icon - meaning that if a user rents it and parks it properly at the end, they will get a discount on the rental fee.

I've had a decent amount of credit in the past for picking up badly parked bikes and riding them a short distance to a parking bay or safe parking area. You get a £1 credit for doing that or a free ride (depending on whether you're using a Ride Pass or not).

On 21/05/2023 at 08:56, first mate said:

It is disgraceful, the council should not allow it to happen, we have bikes on pavements everywhere now! Sometimes you have to walk over it if you want to walk on the pavement and what if you are disabled. HumanForest has a lock and Lime doesn't so the kids can still it and go around dumping it anywhere they like!

In this link at around 18:17 Cllr Rose outlines her plan to increase hire bikes but especially e-bikes and scooters, across the borough. There will be increased docking but also dockless ( "curated", whatever that means). 

Also see 26:48 on dockless trials.

Perhaps this is the reasons for the sudden influx of Lime bikes. They have been given the green light by the Council.

On 02/07/2023 at 18:39, Nigello said:

To report a problem caused by a bike: Click on the User icon top left > Help > Improper or illegal parking 

On 01/07/2023 at 19:17, Glemham said:

Why has Southwark designated the space outside St Christopher’s Hospice main charity shop in Lordship Lane as a Lime bike park? This shop depends on donations that often have to be delivered by car. Parking in nearby roads can be difficult. Surely along the length of Lordship Lane there are more appropriate sites for the bikes which some businesses might welcome. It seems really mean and thoughtless to restrict the delivery space outside the Hospice shop.

Does anyone know how much Southwark Council is being paid to have Lime bikes in the Borough?

Maybe because everything they do in the area is driven by money!

A good example is Townley Road school restrictions (Mon - Frid  8.00 - 9.00 am / 3.00 - 4.30 pm), the council has place the sign 400 meters into the street instead of the entrance, making it difficult for drivers to notice the sign - the council will also give you a fine on bank and school holiday!

Edited by RenatoMattos