Is that music the Gala festival already?

We live close enough to the Rye to hear the festival.  As said I think it is great that these events are held, and I expect that those living near to Brockwell Park and Victoria Park have similar discussions to this thread.  In the old days Bromley used to put on Sunday afternoon concerts of popular classical music, much better than Hampstead as more inclusive.  We are closer to Horniman Gardens and when there are free events the sound of music draws us in.  We can also hear a local school and the sound of kids playing is nice (in a non-weird way I hasten to add)

I'm only trying to post positive views on this forum as I had a "FFS stop moaning" moment on another subject a few weeks ago.  If I had my old head on I'd say the noise coming from what appears to be constant building work, petrol powered garden tools in postage stamp gardens, one neighbour's choice of bland radio stations (Heart or Kiss or Capital or Smooth or whatever), and the equal mix of 80s classics and 80s please bury and never play again from another neighbour are more annoying.

But now I welcome people constantly improving their houses, people allowing their gardens to become overgrown to attract wildlife and then blitzing with a petrol strimmer, and diverse musical tastes.  Or maybe not......

I think it is also great that Horniman museum and Gardens is also doing ticketed events, closing the park, and generating new revenue,  We all welcome this and nobody in the vicinity complains.  https://www.horniman.ac.uk/event/horniman-family-rave-with-big-fish-little-fish/

A particularly good event ten years or so was the Jerk cookout about ten years ago, again locals were happy with the massive disruption, congestion and the damage to the gardens from 100s of animal carcasses. 

Edited by malumbu

Walking through the Rye yesterday it was lovely to see the green metal fencing down and have that wide open space again, post Gala. A lot of the grass scorched to nothing and areas ridged by tractor tyres. Saw the team of litter pickers out. It is hoped everything cleared.

My sense is Gala and Council will have tried extra hard this year because they want to extend the event in 2024.

Please everyone remember, if they extend it won't mean just three more days, it will be many more weeks with activity, noise and fences up throughout that time. The dismantling of the Gala site and rebuilding of whatever else they have in mind, will massively extend the time this large area of park is sectioned off and inaccessible to locals.

Next year, I for one would like to see the whole park open for the best weeks of summer for all to enjoy and that includes no ugly, vandal proofing fences scattered all round the park and no security guards.

PS @Malambu. Do you put notches on your belt for every thread you get lounged. Said it before...stop it!

15 hours ago, malumbu said:

I think it is also great that Horniman museum and Gardens is also doing ticketed events, closing the park, and generating new revenue,  We all welcome this and nobody in the vicinity complains.  https://www.horniman.ac.uk/event/horniman-family-rave-with-big-fish-little-fish/

A particularly good event ten years or so was the Jerk cookout about ten years ago, again locals were happy with the massive disruption, congestion and the damage to the gardens from 100s of animal carcasses. 

Was that a tongue in cheek comment, from my memory it caused chaos across the Horniman Heights. 

Try carless parking, excessive noise and people peeing in gardens.

The Jerk Cookout was a wonderful event, a really happy atmosphere and a kick up the ass for the white liberal professionals in the area (not all as a fair number went). 

I had no issues with the brief chaos, the moaning from some of the above group was borderline casual racist - I love other cultures "but not round here" and numerous stereotypical comments.

Even the smell of barbecued animal was fine with this vegetarian.

Signposting and encouraging people not to drive could have been done better.  As there was damage to the lawn, as much to do with probably the biggest free event that Horniman had ever held, they changed to ticketed events in future to help limit the numbers. 

Not sure what Horniman Heights posted on Twitter that day, some find him/her funny, others that she/he is a bit of a nob, although I expect with his/her sense of humour it would have been along my thoughts above.

Actually he/she is posting some reasonable stuff at the moment including a easy going view on Gala. 

https://twitter.com/HornimanHeights

Malumbu said: "think it is also great that Horniman museum and Gardens is also doing ticketed events, closing the park, and generating new revenue,  We all welcome this and nobody in the vicinity complains.  https://www.horniman.ac.uk/event/horniman-family-rave-with-big-fish-little-fish/"

I see this is a four hour event, so no comparison with Gala at all.

Anyway, back on thread; I am very interested to know what proportion of revenue earned by Gala goes back to Southwark and out of that what is used for Peckham Rye and also what free events will be supported by that revenue.

Does anyone know how to get hold of these figures?

^^^^ I'm astonished that they confess that the area concerned "forms a part of the public highway" and yet then suggest that, since having already severely restricted part of that very same public highway, they want to further commandeer it for what are, in essence, private events!

And, to stay on topic, they (the Council) would appear to be trying the same tactic with parks.

...Oh, and, for the second year running, Gala was barely audible in these Southern borders of ED, which has not always been the case for events held in the park or on the Common.

Edited by RichH

I'm not clear based on the document shared that there is any suggestion that the events in Dulwich Square would be ticketed / private in the same way the Gala event is.  Previous years events in that space have involved live music in the most part but been open to everyone rather than being a 'private event'

Re. the Dulwich Village area, ticketed events or not, the point is that they will further limit or prevent the ability to use the area for its originally intended purpose i.e. as a public highway.  That, apart from the possible noise, is also one of the main objections to events like Gala taking place in what is supposed to, according to the Southwark web site, "provide a pleasant refuge for both the local community and wildlife."  Something it can hardly do during the times it's turned into a construction site and music festival.

22 hours ago, Rockets said:

It seems Southwark isn't the only council grappling with how to make money whilst keeping residents happy. The weeks of activities in Brockwell Park seems to be the model Southwark want to adopt but at what cost to local residents: https://www.brixtonbuzz.com/2023/06/lambeth-lib-dems-call-for-transparency-following-brockwell-live-festival-complaints/

They just had that on the news and lambeth council claim its good for local businesses, which I think can really be read as "good for the local council" as only a few businesses will get a short uplift but will possibly need to increase staff to manage it. 

Gotta love council spin doctors 

11 hours ago, Dogkennelhillbilly said:

Lovely to see the tin foil hat wearers out with the latest conspiracy theory about a blocked off junction in Dulwich Village. How many tickets do you think you could sell to ravers there - maybe 15 or 20,000? 🤣

DKHB if you had bothered to read the letter from Southwark you would see that the max limit would be 499 people....so quiet an exclusive rave then! 😉

It seems the council are trying to cover a lot of bases with their application as it covers trade stalls etc. Interested to know who they have distributed this to as we live near there and have not had it.

That's true, but it's a bit less intrusive in Dulwich Park as it's tucked away just one section, and I do have to admit that it is much better run than Gala in terms of noise, litter etc.

Brockwell Park closure is VERY intrusive with a huge chunk of the park closed off with massive structures. However, the one big difference there is that Lambeth gets to use the same infrastructure for the Lambeth Country Show, which is free to all and has a wide variety of stuff to interest just about everyone.

Rye Lane was crazy on bank holiday, there was some kind of drill music rave in the Angel Oak and shopping in Tesco Rye Lane was full of festival goers.

The Nags Head seems to have a 3am license on weekends that something happens too.

I sometimes think that the suburbs beckon and I'm too old for here.

But Southwark council just said they will give me 60 quid towards my Electricity bill - maybe the festival subsidized it 🙂

3 hours ago, Dogkennelhillbilly said:

That's true, but it's a bit less intrusive in Dulwich Park as it's tucked away just one section, and I do have to admit that it is much better run than Gala in terms of noise, litter etc.

How are you measuring that, DKH? 

6 hours ago, RichH said:

Re. the Dulwich Village area, ticketed events or not, the point is that they will further limit or prevent the ability to use the area for its originally intended purpose i.e. as a public highway.  That, apart from the possible noise, is also one of the main objections to events like Gala taking place in what is supposed to, according to the Southwark web site, "provide a pleasant refuge for both the local community and wildlife."  Something it can hardly do during the times it's turned into a construction site and music festival.

Are you an emergency service vehicle driver - if not then it is not the events that are 'limiting your use of the highway'

The way Pub in the Park is positioned the noise tends to travel away from Dulwich up towards Sydenham Hill so it impacts fewer homes. But as Ex- says good luck to anyone happy enough to pay those prices to get in for a 4-hour afternoon or evening session and then get fleeced for "artisan" food and drink. I don't know anyone who has been who is willing to repeat the experience and it's very reflective of the way Dulwich is changing (and not necessarily for the better). 

If you want to listen to the music head to the Sainsbury's at the Plough, grab a bottle of something and some nibbles and plonk yourselves in the park near the cafe and save yourself a fortune! 

31 minutes ago, northernmonkey said:

Are you an emergency service vehicle driver - if not then it is not the events that are 'limiting your use of the highway'

Whatever I may or may not do, you at least concede that the events, whatever they may be, will limit access to the public highway for emergency service vehicles.  Surely then that's another good reason to not allow such events to take place.

2 hours ago, RichH said:

Whatever I may or may not do, you at least concede that the events, whatever they may be, will limit access to the public highway for emergency service vehicles.  Surely then that's another good reason to not allow such events to take place.

Hilarious.  Proper gotcha.  Are you a teenage boy?  Anyway - no!  you claimed there would be a problem with the 'legitimate use of the highway', not me - and given the only legitimate use now is by emergency services it seems you aren't being prevented from doing anything at all. 

2 hours ago, first mate said:

Can anyone explain why an events space is needed here at all, when Dulwich Park is literally on the doorstep?

Loads (and it was loads) came down through rye lane - I saw them go down and come back up (around 10:30 pm) - so businesses in Peckham get a boost I guess.  The council see the park end of Rye Lane as a nighttime cafe/bar  area too so they all come here after the park event