HIP PAIN! pregnancy yoga or massage in Forest Hill/Honor Oak?

Hello,

I'm 19 weeks pregnant and am having horrible hip pain when I (try to) sleep. I've heard yoga can help.

Does anyone know of any drop-in classes in or near Forest Hill/Honor Oak? I work shifts so can't make one time every week.

Also, if anyone knows of anywhere local that does prenatal massage or swimming, do let me know.

Muchas gracias!

There's one in Nunhead near the station on Tuesday evenings, search the forum for Catherine Arnold yoga. The Sunshine Centre in Brockley/Crofton Park does classes on a saturday morning but you have to sign up for 6 weeks. Also if you can get to Peckham, sat mornings with Barbara Mela at Gaia centre are great and you can drop in (if you let her know beforehand).

• 2 weeks later...

No worries but I'm popping back to say - do you still have hip pain? PLEASE don't do yoga until you've spoken to midwife or GP

I thought yoga & swimming were helping me and I've suddenly developed a really painful limp - which is suspected SPD / PGD - am waiting for a physio referral but both of these things are now out for me and may very well have exacerbated the condition

In particular the "open leg" poses and squats... so avoid these if you are still having hip pain (I threw myself into them as had no idea they could be bad or that I could be getting SPD)

hth, Rachel x

Definitely get checked out before yoga. Hip pain is often because of a loosening of the ligaments in preparation for birth which stuff like yoga can make much worse. I saw a physio at lewisham pretty quickly and they gave me a few exercises and a special support belt to wear. A white stretchy thing with Velcro that isn't particularly attractive but mostly not visible under clothes and really helped. Pelvic floor exercises help too - sooo boring!

Thanks so much, Emily and Rachel. I was about to go to a yoga class tonight but I won't now - my GP thinks I have SPD and has referred me for physio, but didn't say anything about avoiding yoga/swimming. I thought exercise would help but I'll wait till I've seen the physio now!

Oh god that's what I thought - so I was also going swimming and doing breaststroke and thinking "hmm my hips / back hurt, so the yoga/swimming must be helping to realign them or something". In fact breaststroke a big nono - DM me your email address and I'll send you the SPD physio factsheet my physio friend sent me, it has helpful info and exercises while you're waiting for appt. I'm still waiting but the pain has eased while I've been following the advice.

hth x