ED Nature Watch

Sorry, they are vermin.  Please don't feed them or the feral pigeons. 

On a more positive note please see a couple of lesser redpolls in my garden feeding with a goldfinch.  They must be closely related as no aggro between the two.

Sorry not a better picture, this was through a closed window, I doubt if they would pose if you get closer.

P1020358.JPG

39 minutes ago, malumbu said:

Where are the twitchers in SE23.  Just been told more likely to be a common rather than lesser redpoll.  Well I never

😂😂😂  

Lucky you, whatever it is!

Edited by Sue

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Nigello said:

Where? 

South of Peckham Rye Park and North of Brenchley Gardens.

11 hours ago, malumbu said:

Lucky you.  I just find the feathers 

Yes, they have shocking table manners!  I was amazed that the hawk took a full 90 minutes to consume almost the entire pigeon.  Only feathers and a couple of tiny bits of intestine remained.  The hawk then stalked (i.e on foot) around the back garden, crawling under bushes and peering up into shrubbery, presumably looking for dessert, before flying off.  Suprised it could take off after such a huge lunch!  I guess it perhaps hadn't had a decent meal for a few days.

• 4 weeks later...

A raptor shot into my back garden for a wood pigeon, which managed to get away before it was grabbed. It was very fast and the hawk was smaller than I’d thought it would be, with mid- and dark-brown feathers. Kite? 

20 hours ago, Nigello said:

A raptor shot into my back garden for a wood pigeon, which managed to get away before it was grabbed. It was very fast and the hawk was smaller than I’d thought it would be, with mid- and dark-brown feathers. Kite? 

Were you perhaps thinking of a Kestrel, rather than a Kite?

On 23/04/2024 at 19:01, elloriac said:

Worried as only two Egyptian goslings at the pond this evening. Both parents in attendance. 

The three of them were looking very healthy this morning. Did anyone see anything? 

20240423_185951.jpg

Saw all 3 yesterday. Plus young moorhens & some very young ducklings still on the nest. Wisteria also looking beautiful.