Any charity shops accepting books?

jj8

I have a lot of books (mainly adult fiction and non-fiction paperbacks) that I would like to donate to charity or to a library. Am local to Forest Hill, but nobody in that area has capacity to take books at the moment.

Can anyone point me to a charity shop that might still be accepting book donations?

Thanks!

Oxfam Herne Hill none too impressed when I turned up with several bags of books, ended up taking them to British Heart Foundation book and cd shop in Streatham instead. Suggest phoning ahead wherever you go so as not to waste a journey. I have donated books to King's in the past, I think via their PALS service, they said they would take them round wards on trolleys. 

14 hours ago, PeckhamNicola said:

Oxfam Herne Hill none too impressed when I turned up with several bags of books, ended up taking them to British Heart Foundation book and cd shop in Streatham instead. Suggest phoning ahead wherever you go so as not to waste a journey. I have donated books to King's in the past, I think via their PALS service, they said they would take them round wards on trolleys. 

Surprised to hear this re Oxfam. Was that the actual bookshop? The small Oxfam opposite the  bookshop also has  a small book section,but probably can't take many.

The Oxfam bookshop has seemed very pleased when I've taken shopping trolley loads of books there in the past!

I think PALS at Kings stopped taking magazines and books during Covid, don't know if they have started again.

Edited by Sue
Typo

Ziffit.com is good for getting rid of old books. You get paid a very small amount for any book that they accept (you scan the ISBN in the app and they tell you if they'll accept it) and you box up a pile of accepted books and they come and collect from your house.  So although not for charity, it is a useful way to clear out alot of saleable books without having to cart lots of heavy boxes to the shops.

The problem with Ziffit is that what they pay per book is negligible and really not worth the effort. Most people, including OP it would seem, would prefer the books to go to charity where at least the charity gets 50p per paperback or something. If you give 50 paperbacks to charity and they earn £25 from them then that seems so much more worthwhile than earning £5 for yourself.