Sainsburys, Dog Kennel Hill

Lynne

4 hours ago, jazzer said:

As for "Sainsburys always being horrible", I have to disagree with you on that. 

I meant that particular Sainsbury's, but perhaps I am being too hard on it.

But then I remember Sainsbury's in the days before there were supermarkets .....

I've started going to Morrisons in Peckham and have been pleasantly surprised at their range of products. Shopping in Sainsburys  DKH is such as trial now, no staff, inconvenient malfunctioning machines and a general feeling that customers can go and take  running jump.

I only go there about every couple of months now (to put my flimsy plastic in the recyling bins). What a dismal, grubby experience it has become! I don't go to Sainsburys Forest Hill either because of their requirement to have me download a parking app on my phone. Luckily we have many supermarket choices nearby and I find Waitrose deliveries, Sainsburys Local on foot, Lidl and Aldi cover it all. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tomskip said:

I only go there about every couple of months now (to put my flimsy plastic in the recyling bins). What a dismal, grubby experience it has become! I don't go to Sainsburys Forest Hill either because of their requirement to have me download a parking app on my phone. Luckily we have many supermarket choices nearby and I find Waitrose deliveries, Sainsburys Local on foot, Lidl and Aldi cover it all. 

I find the Sainsbury's in Forest Hill even more depressing than the Dog Kennel Hill one, if such a thing was possible

Where is a nearby Aldi?? Do they deliver? I like Lidl for some things,  but lugging it home is a pain.

I also quite like Asda for some things. Also their delivery charges are low and their customer service is very good.

It's annoying that I find I can't get everything I need/want from one supermarket, but unfortunately I am picky. Some things I like I can only get from Waitrose, eg a particular brand of olive oil (presently rocketing in price).

I bought own brand soya milk from one place, possibly Asda, and found it had salt added to it. WTF?! They refunded me with no quibbles and collected it all next time they delivered.

Edited by Sue

11 hours ago, Sue said:

Where is a nearby Aldi?? Do they deliver?

There is an Aldi on Elmers End Rd in Anerley. It's right next to a bus stop on the 197 bus, so if you live close to the 197 it might be convenient (without being exactly close).

I used to go to the Aldi in the Old Kent Road and then pop along to the Lidl further down the road. The Aldi was closed down pre Covid supposedly due to a new development being built which was supposed to include a new Aldi.  I have been to the Aldi in Anerley and it was fine.   

3 hours ago, Sue said:

Thanks, I'm not sure a round trip to Anerley on the bus with my shopping trolley would be worth any potential savings 🤣 but I'll check it out!

Do you go to Lidl in Peckham?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Froglander said:

Do you go to Lidl in Peckham?

Camberwell Green, but only if in that direction anyway, I wouldn't make a special trip unless it was Christmas (Lebkuchen! Big bags! Very cheap!)

I sometimes went to the Peckham Lidl in the days before ULEZ, but my car isn't compliant so it wouldn't be worth a trip unless I was using the car for something else, and it's a pain on the bus as there's no direct route.

Edited by Sue

Preference is for Lidl Old Ken Road (the top end) a few doors down from where Aldi used to be. Its large and the range and choice I find are good. 

Posted (edited)

For a direct bus route, there's  Aldi, Lidl and Tesco on adjacent stops on Rushey Green, Catford -- about 30 minutes on the 185 from ED Grove.  And ED to Catford by train can be done in a quarter hour if you pick the right times.

Edited by ianr

1 hour ago, ianr said:

For a direct bus route, there's  Aldi, Lidl and Tesco on adjacent stops on Rushey Green, Catford -- about 30 minutes on the 185 from ED Grove.  And ED to Catford by train can be done in a quarter hour if you pick the right times.

How do you get to Catford by train from ED?

3 hours ago, jazzer said:

Preference is for Lidl Old Ken Road (the top end) a few doors down from where Aldi used to be. It’s large and the range and choice I find are good. 

Does it replace the previous Old Kent Road Lidl?

21 hours ago, jazzer said:

no, there is still the Lidl at the Bricklayers Arms end of the Old Kent Rd

Seems strange to have two Lidl’s in the same Road. Wonder what happened to the replacement Aldi.