Amazon deliveries - again

tomskip

We've had two deliveries from Amazon in the last two weeks. Both just dumped on our doorstep, in full view of the street, and no knock on the door. Both times we were at home. Both times we happened to open the door and see the box soon after it was delivered, just luck really. Do the drivers cover the same routes all the time or is it likely to be a variety of drivers? 

Thanks Angelina. Neither of the products I bought are available locally, sadly. And even if they were it would be from a large chain store. We don't use Amazon often at all - probably a year since last time - so I started my thread to see if this was the norm now or a problem just on my road. 

That's a shame.  I do hear of parcels being delivered to the wrong address frequently, as well as parcels being stolen.

It's worth reporting any thefts to the police.

It seems that safe receipt of the goods isn't a high priority.

You can get Amazon delivered to lots of pick up places, maybe that's the safest option?

• 2 weeks later...

We've had this issue a few times but delivery drivers, especially ones employed by Amazon, work in such hard conditions - long hours, miserable pay, impossible routes and numbers of parcels to deliver. So I've never complained because I don't want to add even more stress. Instead I've been collecting from nearby lockers or LL Co-Op (for any delivery, not just Amazon). I know that means you don't have the convenience of delivery to your doorstep but it may be the best option? 

I've never had issues with the official Amazon delivery drivers, but the casual ones, yes.  Last month I didn't receive three different parcels.  I was in, watching the tracking whilst working.  Tracking changed to delivered, but no doorbell ring.  Went to the door and there was nothing there.  These were all weekend deliveries.  Searched the immediate area, but nothing.  I was too quick to get to the door for someone passing to have taken.  Amazon were good, as usual, to refund/send replacements, but one seller was clearly suspicious, and I had a short battle with them.  With all of those disappearing parcels, the tracking showed the driver at a standstill on a nearby street for as long as two hours.  The last time, I actually walked to the road in question prior to the supposed delivery, but there were no vehicles which looked like they were delivering. 

3 hours ago, Alec1 said:

I've never had issues with the official Amazon delivery drivers, but the casual ones, yes.  Last month I didn't receive three different parcels.  I was in, watching the tracking whilst working.  Tracking changed to delivered, but no doorbell ring.  Went to the door and there was nothing there.  These were all weekend deliveries.  Searched the immediate area, but nothing.  I was too quick to get to the door for someone passing to have taken.  Amazon were good, as usual, to refund/send replacements, but one seller was clearly suspicious, and I had a short battle with them.  With all of those disappearing parcels, the tracking showed the driver at a standstill on a nearby street for as long as two hours.  The last time, I actually walked to the road in question prior to the supposed delivery, but there were no vehicles which looked like they were delivering. 

Last time I had an Amazon delivery delivered by Amazon, the tracking showed the vehicle in my street for ages, and eventually I went out to see where my parcel was.

The guy had first of all had trouble parking, and then had to deliver parcels to a large number of different addresses in the street.

He kindly gave me mine from the van,  to save me hanging around.

I suspect something similar happened with you, Alec1. In this case the vehicle was a plain white van, and if the driver was at the other end of the street with parcels, it wouldn't have been obvious that the van was delivering?

On 03/12/2023 at 15:52, Sue said:

Last time I had an Amazon delivery delivered by Amazon, the tracking showed the vehicle in my street for ages, and eventually I went out to see where my parcel was.

The guy had first of all had trouble parking, and then had to deliver parcels to a large number of different addresses in the street.

He kindly gave me mine from the van,  to save me hanging around.

I suspect something similar happened with you, Alec1. In this case the vehicle was a plain white van, and if the driver was at the other end of the street with parcels, it wouldn't have been obvious that the van was delivering?

Sue, the street was empty, it wasn't my street, but an adjoining one which doesn't ever had many vehicles on it, as it's a school street, plus is a short/small street.  There were only resident cars, and about 6 if I remember rightly.  If there had been a delivery vehicle there, then my parcel would have been delivered!  It wasn't.  None of them were.  Extra security, I have a camera, so I can see who comes to my door.  There were no deliveries.

4 minutes ago, bigmacca1 said:

Dont assume they always use vans, In my street i have seen at least 3 guys delivering parcels to neighbors using private cars with no markings on at all daytime and into the evenings 8pm+ ??

Not sure if aimed at me, but I know they use cars.  The street I checked had no cars with visible parcels, or occupants. 

1 hour ago, Alec1 said:

Not sure if aimed at me, but I know they use cars.  The street I checked had no cars with visible parcels, or occupants. 

What did Amazon say when you complained?

Also, I don't understand how the tracking could show the drivers were on your street if they weren't?

Software isn't perfect.

The working conditions for Amazon drivers are pretty bad: subcontractors of subcontractors, most of them are not even close to being employees with any job security or ability to manage a massive workload. If you've got 120 drops to make - stuff is going to get left on the doorstep. You can have it delivered to a lockers, you can use a different company, you can buy in store or you can take your chances...

https://pennypost.org.uk/2021/02/confessions-amazon-delivery-driver/

22 hours ago, Sue said:

What did Amazon say when you complained?

Also, I don't understand how the tracking could show the drivers were on your street if they weren't?

I have no idea either, but it has happened three times now.  They are one street away, then stay there for an hour plus. Then it's suddenly delivered, but there is no package.  I only order stuff which will arrive on days I am in.  These three times, I was in, the doorbell didn't ring, no one showed up on camera, but tracking said it was delivered to my address and handed to the resident!  Sometimes things are left on doorstep as I don't get to the door fast enough, I know they are on a tight time frame, and I wouldn't like their job, but these three times, nothing had been left/delivered.  I imagine just driving up a street, pausing outside a property would show up in the tracking and could look like delivered.  It's not like they ask for a signature or a photo of person accepting it.  Amazon refunded/replaced each item, and I did complain and suggest they looked into it, but what do they care? 

4 hours ago, Alec1 said:

I have no idea either, but it has happened three times now.  They are one street away, then stay there for an hour plus. Then it's suddenly delivered, but there is no package.  I only order stuff which will arrive on days I am in.  These three times, I was in, the doorbell didn't ring, no one showed up on camera, but tracking said it was delivered to my address and handed to the resident!  Sometimes things are left on doorstep as I don't get to the door fast enough, I know they are on a tight time frame, and I wouldn't like their job, but these three times, nothing had been left/delivered.  I imagine just driving up a street, pausing outside a property would show up in the tracking and could look like delivered.  It's not like they ask for a signature or a photo of person accepting it.  Amazon refunded/replaced each item, and I did complain and suggest they looked into it, but what do they care? 

That is really annoying for you. 

This is a really stupid question, but could Amazon somehow have your wrong address?

When my parcel wasn't delivered recently when it was shown as delivery attempted, I was told that possibly someone could have mislabelled it (I did get it the next day, and it did have the right address on). However that was an Amazon parcel using Royal Mail for delivery, not Amazon directly.

On 05/12/2023 at 23:27, Sue said:

That is really annoying for you. 

This is a really stupid question, but could Amazon somehow have your wrong address?

When my parcel wasn't delivered recently when it was shown as delivery attempted, I was told that possibly someone could have mislabelled it (I did get it the next day, and it did have the right address on). However that was an Amazon parcel using Royal Mail for delivery, not Amazon directly.

No, they have the right address.  🙂