Festive forum..

Alec1

alright jazzer, calm down

Whole point of Dickens is he is readily and freely available and has been read by "the masses" since he was published

I left school at 16, was working straight away and have never been anywhere near attending any exam. You aren't hard done by! No-one has stopped you reading anything in your spare time have they? You have time to post and argue on here so... y'know. And you don't HAVE to read him either. Fine if you don't. But no need to try and suggest you have been prevented by "life"

Other clues that PGC post was a quote and not "offensive":

1) - looked like a copy/paste from a website. Different font the giveaway

2) - the language seemed not only wordy, but less-than-modern. And obviously crafted. If I didn't know the original I would at least recognise it was unusual enough to google and just see

Edited by Sephiroth

Yep - I'm not all that keen either. But we're sort of away from the point. Someone posted a Christmas related quote on a Christmas related thread and you called them repulsive and offensive (which isn't very festive). It's OK to neither know nor care for Dickens - but maybe now we all know a bit more is it worth revisiting or addressing those posts?

I said "it was a repulsive comment", and I stand by what I said. It was it was not directed at you personally. Had it been Admin would have immediately banned me and rightly so. Admin has made it abundantly clear that users are forbidden from making any personal attack on this forum, I adhere by those rules.  

5 hours ago, diable rouge said:

I guessed it was Scrooge/ Christmas Carol related, and as Seph noted, the font looked like it had been copied, which Santa Google confirmed. 

''God bless us, every one!''...

Surely it's "God bless us, every one", not "God bless us everyone"?

That doesn't make sense 😕

I was going to say that the face  of that child at the end  nearly made me throw up, but it's Christmas, so I won't.

Oh. I did.

Sue: Not keen on Dickens. Likes quotation marks. Didn't think they were necessary in the post complained of above, and in fact would have detracted from the post. 

Relights blue touch paper and stands well away.

🤣

Edited by Sue

It's about heathens, Steppenwolf admits to being one and jasszer isn't. I'm going to Google heathen now to see what it exactly means, or urban dictionary 

Just had a quick read up.  It's a sort of modern paganism based on older Germanic tribes.  Interesting and worth it's own read.  Always thought it was a bit of an insult but probably a holier than though comment from some Christians 

36 minutes ago, Peckhamgatecrasher said:

Don't vandalise this thread, Malumbu. 

I think it was already vandalised some way back. But hey, it's the lounge! It's a festive thread! Anything goes as long as it's festive- related! Or even if it isn't!

Anybody else eating too many of those German iced spicy lebkuchen things from Lidl and then feeling slightly ill?

Anybody else discovered that more than one supermarket has not one Christmas pudding available for sale online, but they taunt you with all the various Christmas puddings that would have been available in the brief window between them going on sale and them becoming unavailable?

GRRRR.  I'm not feeling festive now. I'll have to GO OUT IN THE COLD to find a Christmas pud 😭🤣

Edited by Sue

10 hours ago, jazzer said:

Just go to Lidl and indulge in the Christmas aisle, jam packed full of Christmas goodies to gorge on throughout the festive period. 

I know, I've already got loads of them.

Hence my reference to Lidl lebkuchen 🤣

Wish there was a nearer Lidl.  I cycle to the Sydenham one but always buy too much.  More fussy about leaving my bike outside the Peckham one, that is not a blanket slur on Peckham but informed by one of their security people.  Khan's let me bring my bike in and will even let me leave it by the till.  Another place I always buy too much.

Edited by malumbu