Laptop software issue

Sue

I don't know where to post this.

Can anyone help with what I presume is a software issue?

There seems to have been some recent Microsoft update.

I have had issues for some time because since my hard drive was replaced I have had two users on my laptop instead of one. Long story. I only need one.

Also. My files are backed up by Carbonite, therefore I don't need OneDrive. Someone was supposed to have removed OneDrive, but this hasn't happened and stuff is being saved to OneDrive by default. 

Each time I "save as" it goes to OneDrive and I have to manually change it which is a real pain.

Now, as of this morning, I started my laptop to find a message from Microsoft asking me to set something up. Which I said "later" to.

Now when I save a file I can't necessarily find it again, because they seem to be going all over the place. 😭

I am scared to try to sort this out myself in case I make things worse. I am going to see if Carbonite can help, but meantime does anybody know what might be going on?

All I want is for all my files to be saved in the same  place, where I can find them 😭

Edited by Sue

Annoying isn't it!  The below should work for Windows 11 and the latest Microsoft Office applications but it should help for earlier versions also.

Firstly, other Users can be removed from Windows Settings > Accounts > Other Users.

Next, before fiddling with OneDrive, back up your files first. Deleting items from OneDrive will likely delete locally stored versions too!

You can uninstall Microsoft OneDrive from Windows Settings > Apps > Installed Apps.  Find Microsoft OneDrive from the list, click the ellipsis next to the Microsoft OneDrive entry and select Uninstall. 

Or, as I did myself, you can keep OneDrive installed but get around the niggling problems by deselecting all folders/files that you're syncing to OneDrive but again, very importantly, make sure you backup all such folders/files somewhere else first as deleting items from OneDrive will likely also delete the copies you have stored locally.  Next, sign out of OneDrive.  Lastly, disable OneDrive from automatically starting when you switch on your computer.  You can do this from Windows Settings > Apps > Startup, then move the little switch for Microsoft OneDrive to the Off position.  

If you're talking about the Save As location of MS Office documents defaulting to OneDrive, this can be changed within the settings for affected applications:

In Word or Excel for example, click File on the top left of the Toolbar, then click Options at the bottom left of the next screen.  An Options box for the application will open.  Click Save and, on the right, you should find a check box saying Save to Computer by default.  Select this then, in the field below, select a default file location.  Third party applications may have a similar setting.

Thanks very much! I appreciate your taking the time to write all that!

It's going to take me a while to get my head around it though 😂

I've still got Windows 10,  and my laptop is too old to upgrade, but hopefully the steps you suggest shouldn't be too different.

Edited by Sue

• 3 weeks later...