This cat has a home & isn’t hungry

ED09

Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this but it seems the most relevant.

I’m posting to say this cat from The Gardens/Oakhurst Road area very definitely has a home and doesn’t need to be fed. 

Despite a clean bill of health and a feeding plan he’s now overweight and increasingly isn’t bothered about his food at home at the usual times. Since being allowed outside from Oct 2023 & not fed any more by me each day he has gained a lot of weight. This is also when he started getting less enthusiastic about the exact same food he used to go mad for.

When he does want to eat at home he now bizarrely acts like I’m going to put his food dish in his garden rather than his usual spot inside. I’ve never fed him outside.

He has a safety release collar that reads ‘please do not feed me’ but it’s not that obvious around his fluffy neck and he’s still apparently being fed elsewhere. 

If he’s being deliberately fed I appreciate this could be well meaning. But please be assured he’s not a street cat or at all neglected. I’m getting very concerned about his weight and the effect on his health.

He’s a much loved moggy adopted from CHAT. He’s neutered, microchipped, insured, regularly defleaed, dewormed, brushed, always has access to his calm, warm, comfy home, perches, beds (including mine), toys, food, water and a large garden. 

Many thanks.

Edited by ED09
Accuracy

PS: I believe his weird behaviour about shooting out of his taped open cat flap when he does want to eat at home is due to someone trying to train him to use a cat flap properly. He has never got the hang of it at home hence the tape to keep it open all day (even during artic temps when the expensive heating is on) so he can come and go as he pleases. It’s only locked when he’s in for the night. 

I’ve given the benefit of the doubt and been polite about things above but I’m VERY upset at the idea someone is deliberately feeding and confusing my cat about where home is. 

Celia Hammond rescued and fixed him up when he was in a real state (very matted, dirty and skinny) and I then I adopted him. Since then he’s never looked unhealthy or thin so he’s not by any stretch your typical desperate looking waif.

He’s just young, cheeky and loves to explore. He is NOT a stray and NOT hungry.

I’m also VERY NOT interested in a casual ‘cat-share’ situation 🤬🤬🤬

Edited by ED09
Correctness

Cats choose their humans. As much as we would like an exclusive relationship with them, they don't always agree.

Also, not everyone reads posts on this forum. you may find posting through letterboxes or posters on lamp posts more effective in asking for him not to be fed.

You can't ask people to lock their cat flaps to stop him coming in - and they may not be home to ask him to leave. In fact, he may be just eating anything other people leave out for their cats.

I'm sorry - but cats like to do their own thing. 

It's strange that he leaves when he's hungry - have you tried changing his food? it sounds like he might prefer a different restaurant.

I’m afraid in this situation I disagree and I don’t think you’ve understood what I wrote about the catflap and the food he used to go mad for.

And I haven’t asked anyone to lock their catflaps.

Most of what you posted was not helpful and basically gave the green light to whoever might be idly and irresponsibly feeding him and who also might be trying to train him to use a catflap away from home, knowing full well he isn’t their cat.

He is very young, new to the area and cats can be easily confused by selfish silly humans who stuff them with food and extra treats that they don’t need that can lead to distressing (for the cat) chronic diseases that then have to be medicated for life. If you’ve ever had a pet needing medication you’ll know how upsetting this can be.

If I ever got it into my head that a random cat was ‘choosing’ me as ‘their human’ I’d put up posters, post on a local forum, enquire at local vets, get it scanned for a microchip etc. to do my best to establish if it had a home before feeding it and getting involved in its care. 

Edited by ED09
Accuracy

Oh wow, you're not a particularly pleasant person!

As already stated, cats choose their family.  You cannot control that.  You can ask people to be considerate and not feed a feline that visits them but you cannot, as the tone of your writings suggests, "demand" people not to do so.  I think of choice of word with "deliberately" has sparked the initial response you have received.

Before you throw your charm at me I will point out I am in a similar situation where my feline chum visits all over the neighbourhood, not just looking for cuddles, a cosy wash basket but also food.  He often returns home with a very round tummy.  You may find, if you ask around directly to people in your street, that they will be "oh he's your cat!" and from then on there is a different relationship and understanding.

Our street know how my feline beastie is.  Most know where he lives.  We know he still get food but at the same time you can adjust to his pattern instead of insisting on following what has always been.

Oh wow, you’re not a particularly pleasant person and you haven’t exactly dazzled me with your ‘charm’ with your choice of words assuming I haven’t already asked my neighbours not to feed him, accusing me of trying to ‘control’ a cat and being inflexible when I’m genuinely very concerned about his health.

I said I was upset at the ‘idea’ of someone ‘deliberately’ feeding him.

7 hours ago, ED09 said:

Oh wow, you’re not a particularly pleasant person and you haven’t exactly dazzled me with your ‘charm’ with your choice of words assuming I haven’t already asked my neighbours not to feed him, accusing me of trying to ‘control’ a cat and being inflexible when I’m genuinely very concerned about his health.

I said I was upset at the ‘idea’ of someone ‘deliberately’ feeding him.

Please reread what I put. I certainly did not accuse you of anything let alone of controlling your cat!

You (as in general) simply cannot control the situation of any feline that chooses to visit or dine elsewhere.

Nor was I assuming anything. It was a mere suggestion. Nothing more. I don't really understand your aggression.

That aside, is it possible he's hunting and eating his kill?

40 minutes ago, South East Lad said:

Hi EDO9, Sorry to here of others enticing your cat away from your home, but please ignore the bullies on this forum, the few of them normally just argue amongst themselves lol! 

Thank you South East Lad. I appreciate your empathy. And yes, I will ignore the bullies on this forum, assumption of ‘aggression’ etc. !