Elm Lodge Surgery Burbage Road

even if you are young person really ill or a old age pensioner or a  disabled person  it is impossible to see a Doctor...even if you phone at 8 am  they make you feel that you stupid old man dont waste our time the Doctors are very Busy  only god knows busy doing what because if in a blue moon you win the Lottery and you do get a appointment when you get to the surgery its Always Empty. where before Covid it used to be full of people waiting to see the Doctor. i feel these GP,s are treating the Public  very bad. they make Millions from the government because the GP,s are a Private Businesses . i am sure i am not the only one who finds it Impossible to see the GP.

Edited by dulwich1955

• Joe changed the title to Elm Lodge Surgery Burbage Road

I find it impossible to see a GP but at another practice.   And I agree with your observation regarding empty waiting rooms.  I never really picked up on that until recently when I had to go to my GP to try and resolve a prescription issue.  So you are not alone.  My GP is Tessa J     What can we do to change things. 

I moved from Elm Lodge (having originally moved there from DMC in Crystal Palace Road) but for different reasons, which I don't want to post on here.

I'm now with The Gardens, and I'm very happy with everything there.

I had an appointment yesterday which covered a range of different things, everything was fully addressed including referrals where necessary, and I've just received an online survey from them asking about my experience!

I'm a bit confused though why people think empty waiting rooms are a bad thing? I was seen on time, surely a crowded waiting room means people are there either early or having to wait after their appointment time?

I was there very early, and people were coming in, waiting a short time and then being called for their appointment, so there were never more than maybe 3 people there at once, including me.

Isn't that a good thing?

In the "old days" before appointment systems, waiting rooms were always packed because you just had to turn up and wait your turn, which could be a very long wait.

I don't know how the GPs managed!

Edited by Sue

there's  not much we can do because our controller's have been giving us the magic BS pills for years....today if you stand up for Truth  Justice or your rights  you are labeled as a trouble maker. these evil politicians and big pharma,s have been chipping away at the NHS and Education  and LAW for many many years. NHS Education and Law are the 3 basics why this country was truly  called  GREAT  Britain.. thousands are dying every year just waiting to see the Doctor at the surgery or Hospital. 

Sue,   i agree with you in the Old days the surgery was full because there was no appointments system.....today there is a appointment system  but the surgery waiting rooms are Empty ...because it impossible to get a appointment to see the Doctor.. Elm lodge or Tessa Jowell  you call them 8 am and try to get a appointment. by 8.05 they tell you its too late no more appointments...and please dont get too confused  i  did not mean it in that way. you read about Tessa Jowell on EDF  

My own GP has full waiting rooms with GPs coming out and calling people in.  I prefer this to my husband's GP (TJ) because bascially, I know at my GPs people are getting appointments and GPs are in the surgery and seeing people! At my surgery you can book appointments in about three different ways - via the NHS app where you can book advance appointments, via the telephone and by pitching up.  I prefer to wait in the waiting room because when I see my GP they will take their time with me and I will be seen!

What I also have discovered is that some GPs at our ED surgeries are actually fully remote and never see people in the surgery. 

This is fine if you have a problem like say a wart and you just need to talk to someone, get a prescription or referral to freeze it.  But if you have something more complex... it's not great.  Anyway, I resolved the problems for my husband and he is now under the care of the Guy's District nurse team (who work in all our neighbourhoods) who come to our house and they can do quite alot that we would have used to go to surgery for (with great difficulty) and tell us what is going on... if a GP is needed for example to run a test or something, they let me know I can call and then they can write the prescription or order a urine or other test.  And two of the GPs at TJ are familiar with my hubbies case so I can look to book an appointment with them (using the app of course but I can be quick on it)  But all this was a result of my own persistence - and also the consultant at the hospital he is under the care of telling me he should now be under care of District Nurse team...  I never even knew the about the existence of the District Nurse team before.  

Edited by Scruffy Mummy
typos!

2 hours ago, Scruffy Mummy said:

My own GP has full waiting rooms with GPs coming out and calling people in.  I prefer this to my husband's GP (TJ) because bascially, I know at my GPs people are getting appointments and GPs are in the surgery and seeing people! At my surgery you can book appointments in about three different ways - via the NHS app where you can book advance appointments, via the telephone and by pitching up.  I prefer to wait in the waiting room because when I see my GP they will take their time with me and I will be seen!

What I also have discovered is that some GPs at our ED surgeries are actually fully remote and never see people in the surgery. 

This is fine if you have a problem like say a wart and you just need to talk to someone, get a prescription or referral to freeze it.  But if you have something more complex... it's not great.  Anyway, I resolved the problems for my husband and he is now under the care of the Guy's District nurse team (who work in all our neighbourhoods) who come to our house and they can do quite alot that we would have used to go to surgery for (with great difficulty) and tell us what is going on... if a GP is needed for example to run a test or something, they let me know I can call and then they can write the prescription or order a urine or other test.  And two of the GPs at TJ are familiar with my hubbies case so I can look to book an appointment with them (using the app of course but I can be quick on it)  But all this was a result of my own persistence - and also the consultant at the hospital he is under the care of telling me he should now be under care of District Nurse team...  I never even knew the about the existence of the District Nurse team before.  

Which surgery are you with?

On 04/04/2024 at 13:49, Scruffy Mummy said:

I just noticed that you wrote that you could book appointments in advance at your surgery! I wonder how many other Southwark GPs allow that because TJ certainly doesn’t.  Are the District Nurses you are referring to based at the Lister surgery? I was told that there are some there. Or are the ones that visit your husband specific to patients with Parkinson’s disease?

I’ve always had good experiences at Elm Lodge. Recently called about a (not that ill) child and they told me to bring her in later that day to see a nurse practitioner just to get her checked out. They have an automated call back system so you phone up, press to be phoned back rather than waiting on hold, and they ring back a few mins later. Can also easily book advance appointments on the NHS app.

4 hours ago, Froglander said:

I just noticed that you wrote that you could book appointments in advance at your surgery! I wonder how many other Southwark GPs allow that because TJ certainly doesn’t.  Are the District Nurses you are referring to based at the Lister surgery? I was told that there are some there. Or are the ones that visit your husband specific to patients with Parkinson’s disease?

Yes, I think one of the neighbourhood teams is based there but they are centrally coordinated out of Guy's Hospital - they look after a range of  patients who can't get into the surgery or who find it extremely difficult.  I hadn't even known of their existence! But after a few times of really struggling with husband to get to the surgery for leg ulcer treatment (he actually had a fall in the surgery itself the last time we were there)  after I told the the Parkinson's nurse at the hospital about all this, it was she who said he really should be under the district nurse care now... once we finally got a GP appointment (see my other thread about that saga)  they agreed that this was best course of action for husbands care and made a referral.  You need a GP referral to get under their care. 

https://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/our-services/neighbourhood-nursing

Edited by Scruffy Mummy
typos