New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham - 2024 Edition

Birdhouse Brewing has opened up in the space formerly occupied by Canopy Brew Co, in the railway arches behind Norwood Rd. Cocktails, street food and DJs. Can do a little craft brew pub crawl with that and Bullfinch Brewery and the little wine bar under the bridge at the top of Half Moon Lane now...

www.birdhousebrewing.com, I think 

Edited by Dogkennelhillbilly

2 hours ago, Dogkennelhillbilly said:

www.birdhousebrewing.com, 

I received this email (responding to an enquiry)

The website is still being done, but you can find our opening times on google: 

Monday Closed 

Tuesday Closed

Wednesday 4–11:30 pm

Thursday 4–11:30 pm

Friday 4–11:30 pm

Saturday 12–11:30 pm

Sunday 12–10:30 pm

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/03/2024 at 15:02, zork said:

Has anyone tried the new indian on Maxted Road, where Ganapati take away used to be?

It’s called Malabar Feast - menu looks good, not dissimilar to Ganapati.

South Indian, Dosa etc. 

Tried it at the weekend.

The food was excellent.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Dogkennelhillbilly said:

Yes! Nice friendly guy. He buys the bagels in from Brick Lane and then fillings are applied there. I had the salt beef, it was pretty good and reasonably priced.

I would really like to just buy some bagels without the filling.  Wonder if that’s likely.

Why would anyone choose to go and eat on Rye Lane? It’s a dump and could be so much better (and lucrative) for all the valiant entrepreneurs if the council could take it upon itself to help this neglected (and poorer) area of the borough. 

2 minutes ago, Nigello said:

Why would anyone choose to go and eat on Rye Lane? It’s a dump and could be so much better (and lucrative) for all the valiant entrepreneurs if the council could take it upon itself to help this neglected (and poorer) area of the borough. 

There's loads of nice little places to eat on Rye Lane! 

Posted (edited)

Yeah, that’s not my point. I explained that the locale is in unpleasant and uncared for, not the businesses (which I called “valiant” so you could deduce I was not against them at all but maybe you didn’t see that.  I think they need support from the council in the shape of a sprucing up). 

Edited by Nigello

8 hours ago, Nigello said:

Yeah, that’s not my point. I explained that the locale is in unpleasant and uncared for, not the businesses (which I called “valiant” so you could deduce I was not against them at all but maybe you didn’t see that.  I think they need support from the council in the shape of a sprucing up). 

'valiant'. How patronising.

11 hours ago, Nigello said:

Why would anyone choose to go and eat on Rye Lane? It’s a dump 

Ahh, Mr N, you're going too far there. I (boringly) agree with you whenever you say Rye Lane is neglected and an eyesore. However, the cafes and restaurants can be quite nice inside, and I don't think any of them offers al fresco dining on Rye Lane itself. So it's not a crazy idea at all.

6 minutes ago, Dogkennelhillbilly said:

Ahh, Mr N, you're going too far there. I (boringly) agree with you whenever you say Rye Lane is neglected and an eyesore. However, the cafes and restaurants can be quite nice inside, and I don't think any of them offers al fresco dining on Rye Lane itself. So it's not a crazy idea at all.

At least one of them has seats outside, but it's opposite the green bit at the end nearest East Dulwich, so quite pleasant to sit outside.

Can't remember what it's called, but it has really nice vegan (I think) food.

17 hours ago, satsuma said:

'valiant'. How patronising.

It’s a positive attribute, especially when faced with the very punter-unfriendly absence of interest and input from the council re the locale. Good on them, but their profits could be bigger if the area they find themselves in were improved. 

• Administrator changed the title to New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham - 2024 Edition
  • Administrator

Some new places opening soon on Rye Lane:

• Cafe Britaly - a 'British Italian' cafe opening next week (8th May). Its situated near the south of Rye Lane, near Four Quarters in the venue which was formally Taco Queen and Supa Ya Ramen. https://cafebritaly.com/

• There appears to be a Vietnamese cafe under works a few doors along next to Woodfall Opticians, according to a sign in the window, however I couldn't find an opening date or any info about it online

26 minutes ago, Joe said:

• There appears to be a Vietnamese cafe under works a few doors along next to Woodfall Opticians, according to a sign in the window, however I couldn't find an opening date or any info about it online

I wonder if it's got any connection to the nice  Viet Van people who come to North Cross Road market?

Their food is great!

On 02/05/2024 at 15:22, Froglander said:

I would really like to just buy some bagels without the filling.  Wonder if that’s likely.

If you are after some bagels without filling then Bon Coffee sell them. 

On 03/05/2024 at 22:22, NewWave said:

Much better Restaurant offerings on and around Rye Lane than on Lordship Lane tbh.

Exactly - the winning combination of living in boring East Dulwich and being at a walking distance from the Peckham Rye lane area.

I will certainly try these new places.

19 hours ago, Sue said:

I wonder if it's got any connection to the nice  Viet Van people who come to North Cross Road market?

Their food is great!

20 hours ago, Joe said:

Some new places opening soon on Rye Lane:

• Cafe Britaly - a 'British Italian' cafe opening next week (8th May). Its situated near the south of Rye Lane, near Four Quarters in the venue which was formally Taco Queen and Supa Ya Ramen. https://cafebritaly.com/

https://vietflavours.com/booking/

It seems to be open though it didn't look like it when i drove past yesterday