New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham - 2024 Edition

On 06/05/2024 at 20:17, Earl Aelfheah said:

There is a new community sauna with ice plunge baths, changing rooms, outdoor showers and hot drinks at Glengall Wharf Gardens.

where abouts is this exactly???

On 03/05/2024 at 09:47, Nigello said:

Why would anyone choose to go and eat on Rye Lane?

Because it's affordable and plenty of choice.

On 03/05/2024 at 09:47, Nigello said:

could be so much better (and lucrative) for all the valiant entrepreneurs if the council could take it upon itself to help this neglected (and poorer) area of the borough. 

It's a changing and will continue to do so. As with most areas going through the gentrification process it will be all about the night time economy meaning a saturation of drinking holes and ' cool and vibrant ' licensed eateries. Brixton mark 2. I think Covid slowed down the pace of change in the next ' up and coming ' areas and has given many prospective ventures itchy feet and pause for thought because there's less footfall and disposable cash than there was pre covid. Brixton for example is much quieter and visibly down on numbers in both bars and eateries. Across London clubs and music venues are dropping like flies.

It’s not gentrification to do a basic clean up and keep it so. It’s just bog-standard, base-level civility and respect. To deny that to the residents is wrong, especially if such lack of action is based on a desire to keep it “edgy” to attract drinkers, diners and shoppers, especially those with more money and/or come from outside the area. 

A welcome addition to Lordship Lane is Chi Chinese restaurant. Not sure it’s new anymore but we tried before and went on our third attempt yesterday so new to us. 

I think this will become a regular when we want Chinese. Though maybe not on a Friday/Saturday as they had space but we went somewhere else when they told us about the wait for food. 

We returned for lunch and will be back. The food was tasty. Although it wasn’t marked on the menu that I took in the Singapore noodles were spicy which isn’t always the case. Based on what we had I’d say if something should be spicy it probably will be. 

Portions were good and prices reasonable - 2 starters, a quarter duck, Singapore noodles and Jasmine tea for lunch for 2 = £67

On 14/05/2024 at 18:26, ArchieCarlos said:

A new bakery is opening in Herne Hill called Bunhead Bakery on Sunday. 

It’s on the side of Brockwell Park, at 145 Dulwich Rd

The website doesn’t say much but says they do sourdough with Palestinian flavours, which could be interesting. 

Sara has an Instagram account called Bunhead Bakes. She started her business during lockdown, delivering far and wide. She then did lots of markets and also supplies local shops and cafes.   I wish her much success.

Edited by Froglander