GALA 2024

7 minutes ago, Dogkennelhillbilly said:

Yeah - I also didn't read cyclemonkey's comment as suggesting Gala critics like me and you were racist either. Or anti-Semitic. Or bigoted against left-handers or any other prejudice. There was no insult in their post. You've imagined that entirely.

Really? He said it was pure prejudice and hysteria. Are you on the booze today or maybe you’re an Ex-CEO at the Post Office.

Posted (edited)

SHE did said it was prejudice.  People can often prejudiced against dance music and dance music festivals.

I said nothing about race.  That was entirely your own interpretation. 

Edited by Cyclemonkey

2 hours ago, Angelina said:

Let’s move past the bickering 

This post is about the management of the gala and the damage to the environment and how to address accountability

Nope, this thread by the title is about the Gala, including those that may enjoy it/support it/have a good time.  I'm indifferent but in my time have been to many festivals and understand that not all locals will be in support.  But don't agree with just limiting it about the issues.

12 hours ago, John OShea said:

Are you for real?

Yes.

12 hours ago, John OShea said:

Give it time!

You haven't answered my question.  What do you think the chances are of mass lawlessness breaking out or a fatal stabbing happening? Why do you say give it time? You must have reasons for making such OTT statements so what are they?

1 hour ago, CPR Dave said:

Of course you're indifferent. 

You live many miles away from this event.

Nope I can hear the background music from my garden.  Even more so at Hornimam which is now having more and more one dayers.

A list of things I have seen / experienced in the last 24 hours within 100m of my home which are directly due to GALA i.e. which wouldn't have happened if it wasn't here -

Dozens of people p***ing in the bushes along the path between the park entrance opposite Parkside cafe and the festival entrance.

Being verbally abused by the people above after politely requesting they maybe reconsider p***ing in the bushes because it's a public park and there are school children around.

Dozens of people dumping empty cans & bottles in the park because the bins are overflowing, lots of broken glass strewn around.

Dozens of minicabs delivering noisy people outside our home (they're supposed to use the designated drop off area on Strakers Rd)

Same noisy people dumping cans & bottles on the pavement outside our home having exited minicabs.

Three girls p***ing behind wheelie bins on a residential street in broad daylight

Five guys having a noisy / shouty balloon inhaling party in the street until 1am

Oh, and our windows rattling / buzzing in their frames from the bass. For 8 hours solid.

Hopefully this goes some way to explaining my frustration & anger with this festival, please don't anyone try to justify it or extol it's supposed benefits unless you've lived through the same experience.

It's simply the wrong event in the wrong location, run by the wrong people.

1 hour ago, fishboy said:

But the council do not care do they because of the £...let the views of residents not stand in the way of the revenue...heaven forbid...

Posted (edited)

Thanks Dulwich Dweller for that article which sums up concerns a number of us have. 

I found the reference to tree felling in Brockwell Park really worrying. That park has been changed into a an events venue for hire throughout the summer. Southwark want to do the same with Peckham Rye. We must not let them.

Edited by first mate

In past years have been able to hear the base further up Forest Hill Road, but not so this year, perhaps the wind isn't in this direction???

However people urinating behind bins or in bushes is totally unacceptable, I sympathise with all those affected and who have had to witness this. 

A few years ago the Horniman Gardens held a food event, cars parked everywhere and people urinating anywhere they could, very disrespectful. 

Posted (edited)

You must be talking about the jerk cookout.  It was great, really good humoured and being there I didn't witness anyone urinating in public.  It was a victim of its own success in that the grounds were damaged by weight of numbers and food debris hence no repeat of the free event.  It is now ticketed. I'm not reflecting on discussions on this thread, but there were casual racist remarks made by some of the mainly white residents in the area following the first event  

Edited by malumbu

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, first mate said:

Thanks Dulwich Dweller for that article which sums up concerns a number of us have. 

I found the reference to tree felling in Brockwell Park really worrying. That park has been changed into a an events venue for hire throughout the summer. Southwark want to do the same with Peckham Rye. We must not let them.

Very much agree.

The parks are beautiful and the damage these events have is far reaching. 
Clearly complaint to the organisers is falling on deaf ears; had anyone complained to the council? Or who/ what failing that? The press? The mayor? 

Edited by Angelina

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, malumbu said:

food debris

What's food debris? 

I think the wind is in a different direction this year as last year we could hear Gala but this year it is the Brockwell event we could hear all day.

Dulwich is sandwiched between revenue-first disruptive council events where Southwark and Lambeth put revenue over everything else...

Edited by Rockets

2 hours ago, fishboy said:

A list of things I have seen / experienced in the last 24 hours within 100m of my home which are directly due to GALA i.e. which wouldn't have happened if it wasn't here -

Dozens of people p***ing in the bushes along the path between the park entrance opposite Parkside cafe and the festival entrance.

Being verbally abused by the people above after politely requesting they maybe reconsider p***ing in the bushes because it's a public park and there are school children around.

Dozens of people dumping empty cans & bottles in the park because the bins are overflowing, lots of broken glass strewn around.

Dozens of minicabs delivering noisy people outside our home (they're supposed to use the designated drop off area on Strakers Rd)

Same noisy people dumping cans & bottles on the pavement outside our home having exited minicabs.

Three girls p***ing behind wheelie bins on a residential street in broad daylight

Five guys having a noisy / shouty balloon inhaling party in the street until 1am

Oh, and our windows rattling / buzzing in their frames from the bass. For 8 hours solid.

Hopefully this goes some way to explaining my frustration & anger with this festival, please don't anyone try to justify it or extol it's supposed benefits unless you've lived through the same experience.

Spot on! It should be scrapped.

3 hours ago, Dulwich dweller said:

Yes.

You haven't answered my question.  What do you think the chances are of mass lawlessness breaking out or a fatal stabbing happening? Why do you say give it time? You must have reasons for making such OTT statements so what are they?

I don’t have to justify my views to the likes of you.

37 minutes ago, malumbu said:

You must be talking about the jerk cookout.  It was great, really good humoured and being there I didn't witness anyone urinating in public.  It was a victim of its own success in that the grounds were damaged by weight of numbers and food debris hence no repeat of the free event.  It is now ticketed. I'm not reflecting on discussions on this thread, but there were casual racist remarks made by some of the mainly white residents in the area following the first event  

What remarks? 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, John OShea said:

I don’t have to justify my views to the likes of you.

The likes of me? 😀How dare i question someone on a message board when they come out with baseless cobblers about fatal stabbings and mass disorder whilst not having a jot of evidence to back up such fearmongering. You can't justify your view because it's impossible to do so.

I would rather the event didn't take place for most of the reasons already put forward by other posters. They are genuine and reasonable concerns. Predicting mass lawlessness and murder isn;t a genuine concern, it's plain idiotic.

I do feel for people that live nearer to the event than me and those who are put out by it. We get away lightly here at the Gardens/ Barry road/ Rye end. The noise levels vary depending on wind direction but they are never overwhelming. It's more of a backround noise. The coming and going of the punters has never been a problem. It's not a rowdy or aggressive crowd. For the numbers that pass through it's rare to see drunkeness or any drug taking. I smell more cannabis down Rye lane than i do when Gala is on.

I'm a DJ, promoter and Londoner so i see things from both sides. It isn't easy to get space such as the Rye. There's a hell of a lot of hoops to be jumped through, reassurances to be made and rules to be adhered to. So with that in mind it is disappointing that both the council and event organisers are not fulfilling there duties nor sticking to contractual.agreements.

If the council were monitoring the site correctly and taking Gala to task the there would be more bins and portable toilets etc. Drop off and pick up points clearly signposted and marshaled. The after clean, reinstating of damaged grassed areas etc should be much more thorough and as agreed. Both the council and Gala are negligent here but it won't stop the event being licensed again next year. It's associated crime levels and anti social behaviour that really counts when up for licensing. In Galas case there's no history or evidence of either so it gives them a strong case when there application goes before the committee.

Edited by Dulwich dweller
Spelling

Posted (edited)
On 26/05/2024 at 02:29, Dulwich dweller said:

The likes of me? 😀How dare i question someone on a message board when they come out with baseless cobblers about fatal stabbings and mass disorder whilst not having a jot of evidence to back up such fearmongering. You can't justify your view because it's impossible to do so.

I would rather the event didn't take place for most of the reasons already put forward by other posters. They are genuine and reasonable concerns. Predicting mass lawlessness and murder isn;t a genuine concern, it's plain idiotic.

I do feel for people that live nearer to the event than me and those who are put out by it. We get away lightly here at the Gardens/ Barry road/ Rye end. The noise levels vary depending on wind direction but they are never overwhelming. It's more of a backround noise. The coming and going of the punters has never been a problem. It's not a rowdy or aggressive crowd. For the numbers that pass through it's rare to see drunkeness or any drug taking. I smell more cannabis down Rye lane than i do when Gala is on.

I'm a DJ, promoter and Londoner so i see things from both sides. It isn't easy to get space such as the Rye. There's a hell of a lot of hoops to be jumped through, reassurances to be made and rules to be adhered to. So with that in mind it is disappointing that both the council and event organisers are not fulfilling there duties nor sticking to contractual.agreements.

If the council were monitoring the site correctly and taking Gala to task the there would be more bins and portable toilets etc. Drop off and pick up points clearly signposted and marshaled. The after clean, reinstating of damaged grassed areas etc should be much more thorough and as agreed. Both the council and Gala are negligent here but it won't stop the event being licensed again next year. It's associated crime levels and anti social behaviour that really counts when up for licensing. In Galas case there's no history or evidence of either so it gives them a strong case when there application goes before the committee.

I’m entitled to my view that in the end trouble will descent on this event.

Edited by Administrator
Remove jibe against another forum member. Warning given.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Dulwich dweller said:

6 hours ago, Dulwich dweller said:

. Both the council and Gala are negligent here but it won't stop the event being licensed again next year. It's associated crime levels and anti social behaviour that really counts when up for licensing. In Galas case there's no history or evidence of either so it gives them a strong case when their application goes before the committee.

suggests that the way forward is to report all instances of antisocial behaviour to the police, and get it recorded

Edited by Angelina

With large public events like these there is always a problem that they will descend into chaos, lawlessness etc.  What we need is a national citizens force both to patrol public events and teach young people how to behave as good citizens.  I'll have a word with the PM.  Get some in!