Anyone know York? (visiting with a toddler)

I'm after some advice on visiting York with a toddler.

We're spending most of next week up there, staying in a self-catering apartment near the city centre. We don't know the town well at all, just decided to explore the UK while longer journeys/planes are such a pain.

Can anyone give advice on things to do there with a nearly-2 year old? Places to visit, places to eat, good playgrounds etc etc. We do have a car but would like to minimise driving as much as possible.

Thank you!!!

I grew up in York and have taken my 2yo son there. There's plenty of museums - Railway Museum, Jorvic (possibly not old enough), a farming museum and the Air Museum at Elvington. There are also a few farm parks but you will need to get in the car again. We used to go to the homestead park near Clifton although after a recent revisit, realise that London playgrounds are more advanced (I guess that most people in York have decent sizes gardens with their own swings, slides etc). On a sunny day, a trip to Scarborough on the train is nice in a retro kind of way. On a rainy day, the designer outlet is a good bet - incidentally, the playground there isn't bad. Food wise, there's plenty of the casual dining options. If you have a child who will sit through a tasting menu..., The Blind Swine is worth a visit.

Hope that you have a lovely holiday!

Eureka in Halifax would be worth the train trip if you're there for a week - it's right next to Halifax train station and is brilliant for toddlers - loads of interactive stuff including a toddler sized M&S, kitchen, post office, garage & bank to play in. We went over six months ago and my son still talks about it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Discussions

• The end of a decade and a half of gaslighting, they must be exhausted. Oh boy, are we going to hear some coercive BS in the next 6 weeks. For some reason they don’t seem to be boasting about how well we are doing in education, crime and policing, fishing, agriculture, health, prisons, trade, trade agreements, immigration, transportation, utilities (including water), amongst other things. They seem to be focussing on exporting individual ‘illegal’ immigrants to Africa for more than it costs to take a journey into space. And rainbow-coloured lanyards for use within the civil service. I wonder why?🤔    
    • If you have a campervan (windows all round, seats in) they’re treated just like cars - come unannounced as often as you need. So I think it’s a way to avoid commercial interests’ abuse of the service. Imagine if you provided a local clearance service, you could empty peoples gardens and houses and take it straight to the dump and have nothing to pay. 
    • Gutted to miss out on the title in the end and fall down to fourth at the last! Thanks for running it - took me a while to get to grips with the format but came on strong in final few months. Look forward to next season!   JamesM
    • If you can access Facebook, there are many groups on there for different things. it may be helpful searching for groups on there. i joined a few groups on there myself which helped me with my health issues. it was these groups that made me realise I wasn’t the only one suffering with side effects & some women were worse off than me. hope that helps
Home
Events
Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Search
    Search In