Are these the best 100 children's books ever written?

"To celebrate Children's Book Week, which runs throughout the UK until Friday 11 October, the reading charity Booktrust has drawn up its "definitive list" of the 100 best books to read "before you're 14". The list falls into four age groups ? 0-5 years, 6-8 years, 9-11 years, and 12-14 years ? and 25 titles have been voted into each."

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/oct/07/booktrust-top-100-childrens-books

Makes me nostalgic, and also very excited about all the years of reading we have ahead of us (ie excuse to read children's books again). Disappointed not to see anything by Diana Wynne Jones on there.

You can vote for your favourites:

http://www.booktrust.org.uk/programmes/primary/childrens-book-week/100-best-books/

Agree re Diana Wynne Jones! What an omission...particularly as she has great books falling into at least two of those age ranges... Also agree with a couple of the author's other 'missing's - particularly The Dark is Rising sequence. A real pity that so much of the fantastically imaginative and readable late-primary / teen fiction has been left out in favour of things like the comparatively rather mediocre Hunger Games (Robert Westall, Lois Duncan, William Sleator...) - though glad to see Philip Pullman and Meg Rosoff in there...

Also agree that despite this is does provide a reminder of what we have to look forward to, both in re-reading and new discoveries!

One of my favourite things as daughter gets older is both rediscovering old books with her which I loved when I was her age (Malory Towers, The Swish of the Curtain), but also discovering new books together. She came and presented me with "The boy in the dress" by David Walliams a couple of weeks ago, and said "Mummy, I think you should read this - you'll like it". Moment of huge maternal pride, as my mum and I do that with each other all the time. So I did read it, and I did like it, and she was so pleased that she could make that recommendation to me. From that list, have enjoyed Truckers (even though never read any Pratchett in my life, much to husband's disgust) and Wolves of Willoughby Chase - first of a fantastically exciting series of books.

Hooray for books...