back-carrying sling options for a 2 year old??

Belle

Anyone have any ideas? I sold my beko gemini as never got the hang of back carrying and also thought my son was past this stage...but now doing 2 X school runs a day with him literally climbing out of the buggy and screaming blue murder quite a lot, I'm looking for options! Can't have him running free in the school playground - the gate is open and I need to focus on my older son at that point/speak to teachers etc. Any ideas for this difficult stage before he learns to stay put/hold my hand?!

I couldn't get the hang of back carries with the Ergo, which is similar to the Beko - it always felt like he was too low with his head squished against my back. The best one for me is a wrap sling - I have a Didymos. That way I can tie him higher up so he can see over my shoulder. It does take some practice and you look like an absolute loon if you try to tie it in public but once you get the hang of it they are great!

Would that still be supportive with a 2 year old? I always found wrap slings fiddly but willing to give them a go if practical for this stage! I possibly could get to a sling library, yes - will look into that, thankyou.

have also remembered that Patapum do a toddler version of th eir sling , as do a couple of other makes, so will do a bit of research.

The thick woven wrap slings would definitely be supportive enough for a 2 year old. The thick ones are a bit harder to get the hang of tying, but much more comfortable once you get them on. There are thinner gauzy type ones that I don't think would feel very good with the weight of a 2 year old for very long.

Beco butterfly is great for back carrying as it has an additional layer - so you kind of slot them in (best to look online or on utube as can't really explain it). Makes it a lot easier to either spin them round from the front (I do this regularly) or start from scratch on the back. Use it both front and back for both my 2 year old and 6 month old.

I went for the butterfly rather than the Gemini for this reason (as back carry more than forward face front carry (the butterfly doesn't allow this like the Gemini does).

Pretty sure Emily at the library has them, or you can come and give mine a go.

I use the Manduca carrier for my 5 months baby and my sister uses it for her 3 year old in the back.

I also have the Red Castle carrying wrap and it is very good for support.

Anyway, when you find the carrying solution that suits you, you can try the Baila Mama dance group if you want to meet other baby wearing adepts!!

www.bailamama.sitew.org.uk

facebook page : bailamamauk

BTW You will find the link toward the South Sling Library on the website. Contact them, they are great !!

Xs