Mugging Tyrrell Road

trp489

This is very worrying. I'm very safe in terms of cabs back from town but admittedly within the local area I do tend to walk back from the actress/clockhouse etc. Very sorry to hear about the OP's wife - I've had that scenario with a cab (and done it on purpose, i.e. drop me here it's easier and I'll just walk the last bit - as recently as last week) - really unlucky for that to happen and understandable she's shaky.

I'd welcome a neighbourhood watch scheme in the Friern Rd area - what does it entail?

And do cab companies mind really short journeys motorbird83? if you use anyone locally let me know, think I'll do the same from now on.

This all seems to be getting rather hysterical. Muggings happened when there was a police station. Muggings happened that weren't reported on here. We live in a massive and complicated city, with immense wealth side by side to poverty.

Actually, since the police station completely closed, there have, I think, been no shootings or other murders in ED. There were several whilst the station was open. Go figure.

It is arguable that a visible police presence (on foot patrol or in cars) may be a very slight deterrent to street crime - but the presence of a nick (and that only manned during the day) is hardly here nor there.

Crime (burglaries or muggings) tends to be opportunistic - often a (very few) people move into an area, predate on it and then move on. So you may have a plethora of crimes in a short time, but not necessarily of criminals. Incidents being described at the moment look like being the same people/ person mugging and (probably separately) aggressively attempting to break-in. Terrible for the victims, of course, but may be only a very few criminals involved. They will be caught or move elsewhere to look for other easy pickings.

And? That makes it acceptable? That makes the perpertrators unaccountable? And that makes the victims, what?

If that is a comment on my post - then I never suggested any of those things - I was suggesting that the current 'crime wave' might reflect only very few perpetrators - and hence trying to counter the posts of gloom and panic which suggested we were living in some sort of war zone. It was about perspective - I said, inter alia 'terrible for the victims' - I assume and hope that the (different) criminals will be arrested, charged, convicted and given a realistic sentence (not some sort of warning and telling off).

Of course we shouldn't 'accept' crime, but neither should we over-state the problems nor the dangers we face. One burglar or mugger, if you are the one being burgled or mugged, is too many, but, across a community, one is a very different threat than a hundred.

Amended to say:- Additionally I should add that my post was also trying to suggest that the closure of the (day-time) police station was unlikely to be a significant cause or contributer to this current crime outbreak.

I don't put it down to the police station closing either, and agree anecdotes don't present the whole picture - but for me anyway it's reminded me not to be too complacent walking home at night. It's easy to feel safe when something is a habit and you're in familiar surroundings.

They don't mind at all. Its easy money for them. At first I think they were bemused but I've lived here for a long time so now they are totally use to me. They all now me by name as I go out a lot :)

Belle Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This is very worrying. I'm very safe in terms of

> cabs back from town but admittedly within the

> local area I do tend to walk back from the

> actress/clockhouse etc. Very sorry to hear about

> the OP's wife - I've had that scenario with a cab

> (and done it on purpose, i.e. drop me here it's

> easier and I'll just walk the last bit - as

> recently as last week) - really unlucky for that

> to happen and understandable she's shaky.

>

> I'd welcome a neighbourhood watch scheme in the

> Friern Rd area - what does it entail?

>

> And do cab companies mind really short journeys

> motorbird83? if you use anyone locally let me

> know, think I'll do the same from now on.

I think the Police Station is a red herring

You could base Police at Tesco - as long as you had enough.

Jessie Wrote:

> 'And? That makes it acceptable? That makes the

> perpertrators unaccountable? And that makes the

> victims, what?'

>

>

> Of course it doesn't, and the victims are victims.

> You miss my point, that we don't live in Trumpton

> Town.

The most effective 'police' are often members of the public, given that the formal police largely rely on public information to guide their activities. In the cases described above, it would, for example, almost certainly make a difference if everyone spotting suspicious activity reported it straight away (dial 101 if it's not an emergency).

If you see someone acting suspiciously and can observe them without putting yourself at risk, specific details of clothing and shoes can be very useful to the police (and make sure that only the right people get stopped and asked to account for themselves). E.g. a case I know of, having done some work alongside the police in another part of London, where a rapist was initially identified as a suspect on the basis of his baseball cap, which was distinctive and had been reported earlier by a PCSO in an intelligence report.

You may also find that calling the local Safer Neighbourhoods police team directly can be helpful, as they tend to be have the best local knowledge and be most responsive to local concerns - and you can generally talk to someone with a name and face rather than a more distant call centre. http://content.met.police.uk/Page/TeamFinder?scope_id=1257246764302

Yesterday a lady had her mobile phone stolen right from her hand in broad daylight outside the Chandelier in Lordship Lane, several men went after the culprit and one of the guys who was on a bike, caught up with him in Melbourne grove, punched him to the ground and recovered the phone. He was a total hero although it's a shame he didn't hold him for the Police. The thief was black with short cropped hair about 14 years old, according to the cyclist hero.

What's going on in ED at the moment?

We need more of the above. Cue a few people bleating about vigilantes, not taking the law into your own hands, etc, but here a lady was mugged in broad daylight and the hero's response was reasonable and proportionate. I'm not suggesting people proactively patrol the streets or accost suspicious looking people, I'm saying that if you see someone getting mugged, you can take care of yourself, and you're up for it, do something.

Just to add I don't think anything in particular is going on in ED (save the laser focus of the EDF on these incidents); the odd mugging is I'm afraid par for the course everywhere in London.

Maybe the 'punch' was really just a rugby tackle :)

(thats what I'd do - head behind the knee isn't it)

NickT Wrote:

> Yesterday a lady had her mobile phone stolen right

> from her hand in broad daylight outside the

> Chandelier in Lordship Lane, several men went

> after the culprit and one of the guys who was on a

> bike, caught up with him in Melbourne grove,

> punched him to the ground and recovered the phone.

> He was a total hero although it's a shame he

> didn't hold him for the Police. The thief was

> black with short cropped hair about 14 years old,

> according to the cyclist hero.

>

> What's going on in ED at the moment?