Living in South Norwood...what is it like ?

JulieW

Houses are a lot cheaper there and as we can't afford to buy in East Dulwich we are looking further afield. South Norwood doesn't seem to be the prettiest place from what I have read but my priorities are safety and good schools/nurseries for my children.

Any comment welcome!

Thanks!!

I looked into South Norwood as I saw the most amazing house ever there - and I could afford it! But it was right behind the high street, which isn't pretty at all. And when I looked into the schools around Norwood Junction and the high street I didn't see many good reports.

The best bits seem to be up around the lakes, towards Crystal Palace, and there are always lots of affordable houses available. Roads around Cypress primary, which is meant to be good, are popular. I think upwards from Southern Avenue/Warminster/Norhyrst Road seems the nicest bit. Norwood Junction has good trains.

PM me if you need to know more. I did my research as I was so desperate to get the house, but didn't go for it in the end.

I second what verds has said. There are a grid of roads near the Norwood Lakes called the Norhyrst estate that are very nice, well proportioned and good value for your buck. Looking at a map, anywhere from Warminster and Lancaster going back towards Auckland and Hamlet is the area you want to focus on. Almost all of the roads off of here have good stock.

The lakes is a lovely park not to mention Crystal Palace park which is also very nearby. Good transport links too. My brother bought a house on Court Rd 3yrs ago and has been able to refurbish and make the place look amazing. His daughter would have gone to Cypress Hill school which is good but was a bit too far for the rest of the family to help with school runs. For a nicer high street experience, head to Crystal Palace or Beckenham.

We lived on Auckland road for 5 years about 10 years ago, flat at the bottom of cypress hill. Lovely area, brisk 15 min walk to CP station, on bus route, good primary, Harris CP secondary close by... We moved to thicket road and then upper Sydenham, we love this corner of SE London!

Thank you so much all for your posts. We saw a house near Grange Wood Park and thought the area wasn't as bad as we thought it might be. Ok we don't have the nice shops and caf?s you can find in ED but Crystal Palace is really close. And you can get so much more for your money! Will research the Lake area though as you are all saying this is the best part. I also need to do some research on schools and catchment areas.

At last somewhere we might be able to afford!