Police last night on Upland Road

Did anyone else watch the drama unfold last night on Upland Road (yes, I know, I'm a curtain twitcher!). About 11.30pm, heard cries of "get down on the ground... NOW". Looked out to see a policeman putting handcuffs on a guy who was lying on the pavement, head almost in the gutter.

Loads more police arrived, including a van to take the guy away. Seemed like they were also looking for someone else, and something had been discarded by the guy before he was arrested as they had lots of evidence bags and were looking under cars along the street.

Much more entertaining than Big Brother ;-)

No, but around 10.30 we had our own drama on Peckham Rye, near the East Dulwich Road junction. Crazed punk guy throwing himself in front of cars then jumping onto their bonnets and trying to smash their windscreens. Very scary for them.

He then nicked one of our for sale signs which he broke in half then proceeded to attack cars/passing cyclists with. Police got there pretty quickly and of course he then went for them

Here's another incident waiting to happen: my neighbour over the road seems to have bought their son a drum kit. May be grabbing a for sale sign myself shortly.

Do you mean the top end of North Cross Road? I heard someone "doing an animal" earlier this afternoon.

Lovely bit of musical equipment to deploy in a terraced street.....

Don't envy you if it continues.

He beat me to it then. That's how I feel, having to put up with maniac drivers at that spot trying to bulldoze me into submission every day on my way to work.

If you're in the right lane going towards East Dulwich Road, the lane obviously isn't straight, if you carry on straight you'll going headlong into the oncoming traffic, so what do they do, they gatecrash into the drivers on the left, forcing them to stop or be killed. The road markings made sense before because there was a right turn there but it doesn't work now.

Yes that was a very exciting night for sleepy old Upland Road.

A car owner left his keys in the vehicle whilst unloading the boot and a passing "youth" acquired them (allegedly).

Three of them returned later that same evening to claim salvage. Unfortunately (for them) they were spotted and two were caught like rats in a trap by a few clever (and very fast) bobbies. As Pickle said lots of "get down on the ground... NOW".

The cops had them pinned down in the middle of the road as the car owner walked around the corner on his way back from the pub.

It was just like the real thing - an episode of The Bill.

They got the third one later that night.

Probably joy/death-riders as the car was not a glamour model. Would most likely have spent it's final hours crashing into anything/person that didn't move or didn't get out of the way fast enough, then a swift cremation on the Rye.

At least they got caught, what's the going rate for attempted car theft? Most likely a long weekend at Alton Towers.

Thanks Uplander, I can sleep easy knowing the full story! I saw the guy walking round the corner and assumed he was something to do with it as he was standing chatting to the police for a while.

We must be almost neighbours!

We're Uplanders and I had my own drama on the street a fortnight ago. Sat in my front room with my toddler in the afternoon and watched in disbelief as a skinny young chap tried to break in through our front window. Thankfully he was scared off when I went over to the window (or more likely by the sight of a 19 month old) and that was that. I had forensics out and the lot. Upland Road is the new Bill.

I know what you mean tomk, a pal in Friern was robbed a couple of weeks ago. He went out to drive his mum home and the scum jemmied his front sashes in broad daylight. Nicked all the usual electronic goodies and personal stuff. Took his spare car keys and returned and nicked his car a few days later.

I was sat on the floor in the front room a few days ago and the guy who rides a push bike around the streets hawking counterfeit dvd's was knocking on my window "dvd,dvd,dvd" scared me half to death. I keep seeing a couple of guys around the streets who look suspicious, might have to dust off my Charles Bronson fancy dress outfit next time I spot them.

There's a tendency to get bit nonchalant about security in the summer. Beach boys on the radio, happy 'cause we're warm, doors and windows open who'd possibly want to rob us and spoil our day!! Maybe we should follow your lead pickle and revive the ancient art of curtain twitching.Don't know if I'm getting old and sensible or just paranoid, the neighbourhood watch scheme is starting to sound attractive.

.... must stop listening to Terry Wogan in the morning.