Haberdashers' East Dulwich - 751 families supporting

Hi stateeducation,

I don't campaign using my family. You won't find staged pictures of me with them. To comment further would infringe on my children's right to privacy.

As for me I went to a still failing primary schools and mediocre comprehensive school in Essex. I was remarkably unsuccessful. Came within a whisker of being sent to a special school. Few O levels and very poor A levels. Single parent family in a council house. I didn't finish a degree due to family circumstances. I've worked extremely hard ever since to make up the huge head start many have had in comparison.

I'm in politics to make a difference. You're right my kids are too old to attend the school we're creating but I would send them if it was in place. Haberdashers' Aske's will be a fantastic school and add to the other great schools we have.

But I and many others don't live in the catchment for great state secondary schools. Everyone should. And that's what is driving me to ensure enough places and that they are great places.

The process is so subjective and I really worry about the impartiality of the group doing the scoring. That's why I have called for more transparency, who exactly was in the group? What are their credentials to enable the community to fully get behind the campaign? What is their background with regards to personally supporting state education in Dulwich?

My understanding is that charter's bid was never given due consideration or taken seriously. Yes there were meetings but unproductive and it was obvious the decision to go with HA was very obvious.

Out of touch, unrepresentative and elitist. Stick to your public school Mr Barber, what exactly makes you the leading voice on state education locally?

Otta, there's a lot of new sign ups now getting involved in this. Either new sign ups or re sign ups looking for a different name. It's an issue that's evidently arousing a lot of interest and passion ...

Charlottes webcam: "Why so consistently against The Charter". Actually, I don't think there's been any criticism of the Charter and,in fact, lots of pro-voices in the thread (as you'd expect, you're right to identify it as a highly performing and very popular school).

The only criticism that's been raised (as far as I can see) is the "sudden" announcement to compete with the parent led steering group proposal.

The governor of the Charter, "derek" who was posting on this thread said that the school has been considering what to do to "future proof" itself and that trying to open another school had become part of those plans. It looks (from the outside) as though the "steering group" process has prompted the Charter to accelerate their plans and pushed them to a decision and so now the Charter will make a rival bid to open a Free School in the area.

From what I can gather (and I'm not part of the steering group, but have been a supporter of the idea of a new school despite my broad reservations about free schools in general and a "non-planned" commissioning of schools) the group of people who pulled together to try and get a school commissioned considered a number of providers and decided on te one they felt best fit the criteria of what they wanted (criteria are set out above).

The thing about setting up Free Schools is that anyone can do it you don't have to be "representative" of anything. I agree wholeheartedly that this is not the best way of doing things but that's the way things are now. As far as I can see, a large group of local parents who want a new school is no less representative of an area than an existing school.

As a parent, I'm pleased that it looks as though there will be another strong local co-ed secondary school.

Where James chooses to educate his children is his own business. He's fulfilling his role as an elected representative and responding to what people say they want. Good for him.

In any case, the state / private thing is muddied in this wealthy enclave by the thriving tutor industry (take a glance through the EDF) with educational advantage being sought by those with the cash to pay both in and out of the private sector.

Jessie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> How do you know this, state education? I think if

> you have a vested interest, you should say so -

> being so very keen on transparency, as you are. Do

> you work for charter?

No not at all but my children do go there. The information was shared informally by friends of some governors there

Stateeducation, you seem really, really angry about this. I think that lots of the information you're asking for is in this thread already (I've been following it for a while).

As regards the "catchment" area for the Charter, hasn't that been contested quite recently, which is to say, who can be sure what it actually is ...?

Stateeducation Wrote:

> Mr Barber, what exactly

> makes you the leading voice on state education

> locally?

The people that voted for him to represent them?

I am glad there will be a state secondary school. There is clearly a need.

I am saddened by personal attacks both on James and on the steering group members -many of whom are good concerned people who deeply care about the community

Again, I can't see that Charter School - supported by Price Waterhouse Coopers - can claim to be more representative then the steering group (many of whom I know, to be transparent) The only school governors on charters board to be elected are the parent governors - the rest not democractically elected. PWC is a private company. I am happy for either charter or haberdashers to run the new school. I feel slightly concerned that Charter had to be forced to abide by its own admissions code and recognise Wanley road as a walking route. Effectively children from the Champion Hill estate had had there chances of gaining admissions to that school severely reduced.

I hope if Charter if they are successful will engage with parents interested in this school and seriously listen and respect parents views. However, being belligerent to parents who are supporting a new school does not feel like its very respectful nor like it is a good start in this new venture.

I am also extremely pleased that there will be a new state secondary school in the area. As has been said by many on here, it is much needed.

I think it's a positive thing if there is more than one bid and hope that this will encourage all bidders to consult widely with the local community to ensure that the bids truly reflect local need. Also hope that all parties will conduct a fair, transparent and professional process that will result in strong bids focused on the needs of the young people in our local community. Then leave it up to the DfE to decide which is the best one to take forward.

ackroyd Wrote:

> I am also extremely pleased that there will be a

> new state secondary school in the area. As has

> been said by many on here, it is much needed.

> I think it's a positive thing if there is more

> than one bid and hope that this will encourage all

> bidders to consult widely with the local community

> to ensure that the bids truly reflect local need.

> Also hope that all parties will conduct a fair,

> transparent and professional process that will

> result in strong bids focused on the needs of the

> young people in our local community. Then leave it

> up to the DfE to decide which is the best one to

> take forward.

I fully agree, the trouble is people, especially James Barber are talking as if Haberdashers is a done deal. Taken from a quote above.......

....."I'm in politics to make a difference. You're right my kids are too old to attend the school we're creating but I would send them if it was in place. Haberdashers' Aske's will be a fantastic school and add to the other great schools we have"

Is it a done deal or is something underhand going on. Are the Lib Dem's able to put pressure on the DfE, maybe they have people in place there that can influence things. I don't know, just seems a bit cut and dried to me.

>

> I fully agree, the trouble is people, especially

> James Barber are talking as if Haberdashers is a

> done deal. Taken from a quote above.......

>

> ....."I'm in politics to make a difference. You're

> right my kids are too old to attend the school

> we're creating but I would send them if it was in

> place. Haberdashers' Aske's will be a fantastic

> school and add to the other great schools we

> have"

>

> Is it a done deal or is something underhand going

> on. Are the Lib Dem's able to put pressure on the

> DfE, maybe they have people in place there that

> can influence things. I don't know, just seems a

> bit cut and dried to me.

That is my worry. I think there is a almighty stitch up happening. That is why the charter bid was not listened to fully or seriously.....no matter what might be the official line.

Therefore this is why the unrepresentative nature of the steering group and how they reached this judgement needs total independent scrutiny

It's not political.

I am not a Liberal Democrat.

Members of steering group are cross party, support is cross party. James has stuck head above parapet, he's not 'leading' in terms of decisions. We've only just been able to announce our choice, but we did have a choice (fantastic!!!), and as soon as we can we'll have a whole questions and answers document ready for you to see what we considered.

Any group of people can get together and put a bid together to run a free school. As long as you have the required signatories and the ability to run a school you cando it. You coujd run it - as I believe Judith Kerr is - yourself and the founders become the trustees or work with a provider. The dfe then decide on the bid now

As we can see, Charter can do the same and sounds like they are going to do this now! Good on them but they are no more representative then the steering group!

As far I understand, steering group was not legally obligated to take a number of providers into consideration.

Harris have been extremely canny at this game. They see a need and offer to fill it. Done and dusted. No competitive process.

Again, could someone explain why is Charter and it's unelected board of govenors(except for parent govenors) a more

representative body? I just don't get it.

I'm on the steering group

I am not politically motivated

I believe that we need another secondary school.

I would be happy for my children to attend Charter

I would be happy for my children to attend Habs

I would be over the moon to have a choice

I do not believe that we are telling anyone that they have to do anything, it's clearly a matter for the DoE who, if anyone they approve and a matter for individuals which school or indeed schools, if any, they support.

I support state education

I hate sherry

Pleased there will be a new school. Steering committee was created from those who volunteered. The ones from my children's primary school are not elitist or snobby. They are people who cared, read the debate and volunteered to get involved. Those ranting on here now could have done the same, but they didn't.

I can only speak from the experience of the local primary my children attend. Some parents were in the steering committee. This was communicated to the parent community of our school. Had I wanted further info I could have asked them. So far as I was concerned their brief was to get a non selective co-ed non faith school closer to reality. They've done that. It isn't a done deal because the decision is with the DoE. I am grateful they got involved and progress made. I think this is a 'can't please all the people all the time' moment. I have no idea of the politics of the parents involved. I think it is unfair to assume they are involved in a great Lib Dem stitch up.

Hi Stateeducation,

No stitch up. The recommendation of which free school applications should be approved will be made by civil servants and Lord Nash (a conservative peer) will make the decision.

I am frustrated that two school providers will be applying for the same location. Each bid will involve huge expense and senior management time and one must lose and will see no gain for the resources consumed.

The Steering Group and Haberdashers' are non political. Frustratingly so when we need to twist some arms.

The one good thing is The Charter School application will ensure they won't be able to contest the Haberdashers' application stating no need or demand for a secondary school.

The decision to establish this free school is being promoted as a LD victory in their literature. If it is non political then why the partisan claims?

The steering group is all white, all at least middle aged and not representative of the diverse community

The steering group did not consider all bids fairly. No matter what they publicly say, the decision for HA was pre-made. Charter did not have a chance or treated seriously.

At least 3 members of the steering group (including Mr Barber) have NO interest in state education. They are rich enough to access private education.

There is strong suspicion LDs in government will bring pressure on the DfE. Mr Barber's statement above already indicates he believes it's a done deal.

You must have seen posts asking for members of steering committee? On this very forum.... Can't imagine where you think we may all have come from to spontaneously appear with a pre-made decision.

Middle age is what happens after you have children, perhaps when they reach, maybe year 3 at school, when parents then might start to think about what school they might send their children to after primary. Not sure what the problem is with that one...

For what it's worth I believe in state education of the highest standard for all, and for schools to have a true reflection of the diversity of the locality. I believe this benefits everyone. What's not to like?

I'm really sorry Stateeducation that the proposed new Haberdashers' Aske's East Dulwich College have offended you.

Clearly no amount of consideration was ever going to satisfy you unless it produced the result you want. I'm sorry but The Charter School bid was good but not as good at the Haberdashers'. Many on the Steering Group who clearly started the process favouring The Charter School changed their minds when they had all the facts submitted by the providers.

I'm proud of the East Dulwich community leadership role I and my ward colleagues have played in getting us this far. Not much point electing people to be councillors if they don't get things done. I'm also proud of the Harris Primary school that we did move heaven and earth to acquire the former East Dulwich Police Station site to house it on.

I'm proud of all the 20mph and traffic calming, regenerated Dulwich Leisure Centre, new grove vale library coming next Spring. I could go on and on and on. I'm a small p politician solely in it to make a positive difference.

I am committed to make East Dulwich great. For that we need people to have great reasons to stay rather than the flight to the suburbs for great schools that is still taking place. When families stay they contribute more to the community making longer term links.

What's your vision for the area?

Why don't you stand publicly without hiding behind anonymity?

Family Room Moderator Wrote:

> Please refrain from posting potentially libellous

> comments on this thread. Personal comments about

> the steering committee, relating to race, age,

> "class", and financial situations are not

> acceptable and will be removed.

>

> Many thanks.

Or, god forbid, drinking habits!