Top Asian restaurant recommendations within short drive?

mysticmark

Yep, Dragon Castle seem to do the best Dim Sum south of the river. Parking possible on Sunday. Cheap too.

Cafe East (Surrey Quays) is a decent Vietnamese, no booze though.

Begging Bowl in Peckham is a lovely Thai restaurant. Wulli Wulli or Silk Road in Camberwell for regional Chinese food.

People seem to like Tsunami (Japanese) in Clapham.

Nothing in ED to recommened, unfortunately.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> Nothing in ED to recommened, unfortunately.

What about the Thai Corner cafe? It's a little small and very busy - not sure if it is great for a family - but decent food, no?

Thai corner cafe is good for what you pay, i.e. very cheap (and BYOB ), very cramped but a lot better than most fusion/chain restaurants. I personally think the Begging Bowl is overrated, the food was good but very pricey and not everything I have there makes me think "wow", unlike some thai places in central London.

There was a Thai place in Herne hill called Lombok I went to once which had very good food and was well priced, don't know how they are doing since the flooding though, I really want to go back there myself so I will have to look them up.

Do not go to Sema on Lordship lane, very average and they were rude to us when we went so we haven't been back.

Also I have had very good food in Buddha Jazz (Vietnamese) near Denmark hill but they can be a bit slow when it is busy, always polite though.

I wouldn't recommend them any longer. We've been loyal to them for years but last few times I've been they've been incredibly slow, some of our party had finished their meals before others had even got there's and this is only on a table of 3!! Last week I went and ordered a mojito which they'd made with oranges and lemon (why??)there was absolutely no lime. I wasn't going to complain but when I picked out the fruit (I don't like orange in drinks)the fruit was old, mouldy and had clearly been used in others peoples drinks before. I complained and asked for a new one which was exactly the same. That evening I became extremely unwell. I would have definitely recommended it 12 months ago but not now. It's a real shame because I absolutely adore the food.

Would have to agree with Jeremy's list above.

Mama Pho in Deptford is pretty good, I actually prefer that over Cafe East which is pretty good too

Mama Lan in Brixton Market is good but it's only a small cafe and only serves a small selection of dumplings and noodles

Noodle Street in Westferry for cantonese but abit further

niki_nje Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I personally think the Begging Bowl is overrated,

> the food was good but very pricey and not

> everything I have there makes me think "wow"

Yeah, each to their own. I think the price is generally OK (after you factor in that rice is free and unlimited), but the veg dishes are a bit too expensive (i.e. ?6 for a side of morning glory).