Serious Sexual Assaults in East Dulwich

Guest East dulwich life

Has anyone else seen the witness signs for the serious sexuals assaults which recently happened in ED? I think one was on Forest Hill Rd somewhere between the Herne Tavern and the Clockhouse, and the other was somewhere on Barry Rd. I haven't seen the board myself, but heard from a friend that the assaults were done by a gang. Very worrying. Has anyone else got any details? No news of this on south london press website..yet.

I saw the same notices, but haven't seen anything reported in the press, local or otherwise.

Although I generally find ED quite safe, it is worrying to see this sort of thing happening. Hopefully it is a random incident and not a sign of future activities.

Having lived in ED for 9 years and then having moved out last summer, I definitely got the impression that ED was getting more aggro, I think in all the time I lived there I saw a policeman walking on foot once, but I saw more fights after pub time and general potential situations in the last year that I had previously.

Dulwich has relatively low crime rates comparably to other parts of inner south london. In fact, crime has statistically dropped over the past decade comparable to areas in close proximity. I feel safe around here, and always have done.

Like you Paul I too feel fairly safe around ED, I hope this does not change.

I'm female, so news of serious sexual assaults is of concern. It would be interesting to hear from any other girls if they've felt at all threatened in the area, and if so where. As the assaults appear to be near Peckham Rye Park it is just a sensible thought to all you fellow joggers (that go round, and round..) to let someone know your run route and ETA home, etc and not have the tunes turned up too high. Not that I'm paranoid, just want gels (and boys) to be careful. :)

It was on Saturday 21 Oct - three hooded 18-20-year-olds pursued the 31-year-old woman as she left The Plough on Barry Road at around 5pm. They assaulted her at Parklands and followed her to her home in Forest Hill. I don't know whether she knew any of them, but probably not, as the newspaper report didn't mention it.

• 2 weeks later...

It's naive for anyone to allow themselves the luxury of thinking ED is a safe place to live. After all we still live in London and have high crime area's such as Peckham right next door to us. ED does appear a safe place, but it's only when your ignorance overtakes your self awareness that you will get yourself into a tight spot with some scummy rapist.

Be careful out there, London is London.

Well thank you Mr Kiwi. Once again your daily mail-esque scaremongerring views never cease to amaze us all.

I for one will no longer be leaving my house for fear of the "scummy rapists" of london.

Your words of widsom are greatly appeciated we, the un"ED"ucated, are eternally greatful.

N.

It's a very valid point that someone made to me after seeing that sandwich board on Barry Rd recently. London is London so don't bury your heads in the sand. Thanks for your "winging Pommy" reply though too Nonni...your trivial comments are always welcome.

Dearest Ed,

A valid pioint - Yes. You views - always welcome and amusing. You racsism, however, is NOT appreciated.

Kindest regards

The "winging Pommy"

N.

I suggest a new section for the forum: "The EDKiwi Soapbox" - straight talkin' daily pontifications on all local matters; essential reading for all those with 'less up-top'

Bob's got a point. If there's a mean and spiteful exchange on the forum Quaywe's always a part of it, pretending he's not.

However he does add a certain thrill, and I know the site would be a less interesting place without him; he only tells us because he cares. He doesn't realise when he's being hurtful ;-)

Mean, spiteful? Moi? Huguenot you could be right, maybe I just don't realise how my comments are being interpreted when read on a forum such as this. It must be my Kiwi view on the world that maybe doesn't fit into the British way. If I was English I'd probably be apologising now but I'm not, so I won't. I'll just carry on entertaining those with a sense of humor and offending those without.

:)

Fantastic! With every post mrED continues to turn into a parody of himself, without even a hint of self-awareness. He's an entertainer! He cares!.. and shares!.. he tells it like it is, goddammit - and he won't cow-tow to The Uptight Brit because he's, er, from New Zealand (or something).

• 5 weeks later...