Heber v Goodrich - The age old debate...

I know this has been covered on this forum previously but given the speed of change that seems to be occurring in ED at the moment I wondered what people's thoughts were on the merits/quality of these two schools - when were they last OFSTED inspected? Does anyone know the extent of the catchment areas?

Perhaps people could give an update on the progress of both schools - we have relocated to Landells Road and will be looking to send our 2 year old to one of these in the next two years.

Look forward to hearing what people have to say (unless it is the usual ED forum class bashing...!)

You can find out when the schools were last OFSTEDed by looking on the OFSTED website for the full reports.

It is worth noting that schools can be brought down from 'outstanding' to 'good' on the basis, for example, that ONE book was found that had not been marked for 2 weeks, before basing your decision on OFSTED reports.

You can find the details of the further distance place offered in the first round this year by looking on the primary schools offer thread on here or phoning southwark who will email you a spreadsheet with all the distances this year for southwark primaries. Renata Hamvas has also posted this document on the thread on here.

I wouldn't worry too much about which to choose as a quick skim of the lengthy primary offers thread on here will demonstrate that rather than having to weigh up which you will send your child to, you will pretty much be told by Southwark where they're going, so your opinion of which you prefer is largely academic.

Hope that was free enough of class bashing for you! Maybe you should read the multiple threads on Heber, Goodrich, primary offers, distances, etc rather than 'those' threads!

Both are good schools, my kids are at Goodrich and very happy. They are expecting to be graded outstanding in the upcoming OFSTED assessment, but I agree with Hellosailor that this should be a guide and not used for a final decision. Schools are constantly changing.

The best way to get a true feel for schools is to attend school fetes, fun runs, boot sales etc.

It is not really a debate worth having. Look at your neighbours. The ones with young children and no older siblings. Where do they go? That is likely where you will get a place. Goodrich more likely from Landells I would say based on this year's allocation. It is a bigger school so has wider catchment. They are both good. OFSTeD is not a good way to decide. Enjoy having a toddler and relax about this would be my advice😉