has anybody had a baby in their 40's

I don't really want to get into a debate about spina bifida. Yes folic acid has reduced the incidence but there are other risk factors too. My mother had 7 healthy babies before she was 40. The point is the risk of things going wrong increases with age. I imagine I am prejudiced because of my family but disability is for life and there isn't always a happy ending to babies at 40. That's the point I'm trying to make.

Shauna, I completely understand that you want to make the point that the risk of health issues can rise with maternal age, and I'm sure that is a factor to consider for anyone planning a pregnancy at that age. I know the friends I have who have decided to have children over 40 have put great thought into the risks. But for the sake of clarity, maternal age is not a risk factor for spina bifida.

Hi Pommie,

I had a similar experience to you after number 2, ie wouldn't stop bleeding, and then a nasty infection on the womb a week or so after the birth, so had to go back in, totalling 3 weeks in hospital post birth! I was advised that a third pregnancy would be risky because of the weakness in the scar on the womb (my first was emergency C-section too), but they said that I would just have regular monitoring in any future pregnancy. Nothing would persuade me to go through it all again, but I guess if you are keen speak to the surgeon or someone senior at the hospital where you had your second. Mine was at Kings and they were great at this kind of follow-up.

Also, I was 40 when I had my second and don't think my age played any part in things going wrong. The baby was 10lb 12 so that was probably more relevant!

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I had my first at 41 and my second at 45 - both were natural conceptions and normal deliveries.

In between I had a couple of miscarriages so went to the Zita West clinic for nutritional/health advice (for both of us) - we still follow a lot of the advice they gave us and look pretty good on it (although I say so myself!).

I had most of my ante-natal care at Kings, which was brilliant.