The nhs

StraferJack

Big thread in drawing room but that has been discontinued

Short version; lefties worry about this govt and it's changes, people who won't quite call themselves righties but really are poo poo such poppycock

This week. Nhs comes out top for cost, satisfaction and service amongst industrial nations

And what's this?

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jun/21/nhs-control-given-away-tory-minister

A sorry sorry mess

NHS spending comes in at around 8-10% of GDP which I think is good value given it's qaulity and the care it offers a population of 65 million, and by 2010 it had dropped as a % of GDP - this at a time of a Labour government who traditionally spend more on public services. Also we kind of sit in the middle of the table of healthcare expenditure across Europe, with countries spending on average between 6 and 11 % of GDP on healthcare.

The NHS costs around ?105 billion a year. National Insurance contributions raise around ?95 billion a year. Income tax and NI combined raises around 40% of GDP. And the NHS forms around 18% of public service costs.

I think most people would rank healthcare at the top of a list, along with education, employment and housing. These articles and indeed government spin doctors are very good at confusing inefficiency with overall budgets. Well the budget is not spiralling out of control, and looking at figures going back over decades never has. What can be seen though is a steady increase in the cost of healthcare provision that's pretty much in line with inflation.

Moves to privatise the NHS are part of a longer process to decontruct the welfare state, and to sell off everything to private markets, because we all know don't we that the free market takes care of all!!! NOT....

My view is that the Healthcare is not a railway or an energy company. We've seen what happens when private profiteers get hold of eassential services. The NHS also leads the world in teaching and research. There are other ways for the NHS to raise or save money without making it a private enterprise.

StraferJack Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Googling

>

> Nhs top international

>

> Brought a raft of results. This is the first. From

> Trotskyite telegraph

>

> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/nhs/10907823/Bri

> tains-NHS-is-the-worlds-best-health-care-system-sa

> ys-report.html

Sorry - hope it didn't sound as if i was being scathing. Am genuinely interested!

FYI I wasn't poo-pooing fears about NHS reforms, and I've certainly no desire to see spending cuts! (neither I am a 'rightie' by almost anyone else's measure). I am just not quite sure why it's held in such extraordinarily high affection. Also, while healthcare in the UK is certainly good, this is just one report...

I think the affection stems from being the first of it's kind. It was a bold idea, and one that has been copied in various forms. Hence expressions like 'pride in the NHS' etc.

You can go to Kings and be seen by some of the top consultants in the world in some areas, irregardless of ability to pay. That's what a National Health Service brings to all. And it can only bring that if it remains a people before profit enterprise.

It's one report. But not an insignificant one

And vastly counter to the narrative spun by government and media

Strip away british affection and history, and that's a story right there

And I didn't have you in mind as a "rightie" when I referred to previous thread! They know who they are (not referring to quids either btw!)