Residents' Associations in East Dulwich.

BARA

Some of the newer readers may not realise that ED had a number of Tenanta and Residents Associations (TARAs)in the late 1970s early 1980s who were very active within the community i.e. saving post offices and corner shops, liaising with councillors and Southwark Council from everything from traffic control to planning consents. The 3 main associations in ED were PARA (Pellatt Area) NARA (North Cross area) and BARA (Barry Area), Unfortunately as people moved ( for better schools - the younger folk) and the elderly and infirm died ( or went into care) PARA and NARA were dissolved due to lack of interest. However BARA rose like the Phoenix from the ashes, and is still around today.

A small but dedicated committee try to keep the flag flying by our presence at the East Dulwich Community Centre (EDCC) holding general public meetings ( i.e. Needle Exchange) in conjuction with the EDCC, we attend the Dulwich Community Councils and are well known to all our elected councillors.

We are a small group and seek to expand our members from all sections of our community who are interested in improving the environment in which we all live.

if you are interested in joining us either as members or willing to sit on the committee, you are welcome. We would like a Council Tenant to represent BARA on the Housing Forum Meetings, we have a leaseholder, but a council tenant would be an added bonus.

We have a social event coming up on 9th August from 6 - 9 pm (see attachment) please contact [email protected] for more information or to book a place at the social

attachment too large for last post SEE PREVIOUS POST

So details are General Meeting and Social 9th August 6 -9 pm ED Com Centre Darrell Road. Formal Business Chair's welcome and Finance Report (10 mins Max) General Discussion 'ED is a vibrant community. How can BARA improve on this and attract more involvement from local tenants and residents? (20 mins max)

Social. Poetry, Music and Memories - following popular demand we would like to present an ecletic mix of YOUR choices whether it be Dylan Thomas or Bob Dylan, Bollywood or Kipling, Sinatra or Shelley. Bring along your CDs, Poetry Books and Memories. To add to the atmosphee you are invited to bring along a dish that represents the international theme of the evening. This is a free family event - all we ask of you is that you contact us for catering purposes.

[email protected] or leave a message for janet on 8693 5536