New Kebab Takeaway next to Forest Hill Tavern

JDC

The new kebab shop (ASH) next to the FHT (or the Rose as it is now known to you in-comers) opened tonight. I assumed that it was going to be a bit special and, as it has been under construction for over a year, they were delaying it's opening until everything was just right. Kebab shops situate away from good passing trade locations (as this one is) must surely, need to aim at a different and sustainable market if they are to survive. The Hisar in Lordship Lane (in a great passing trade location) knew that from the outset and opened up just yards away from two established kebab shops but stepped up the quality, service and presentation to soon make it the no.1 choice out of the 3 along that stretch - and, I have always found, dining in the main restaurant is an enjoyable, good value for money experience. Who, in gods name, advised this lot at ASH and drew up their business plan? The menu in a kebab shop is extremely limited by default (doner, chicken, shish or kofte in pitta with some salad - pink fish egg stuff in yogurt, mint and 'cumber in yogurt or minced chick pea and sesame stuff, also served with pitta - if you fancy a starter) so it's not exactly easy to make a balls up of it on your opening night. However, this lot managed it. Nothing is home made and they don't even attempt to disguise the fact. The Humus was in a 5 litre Makro "value range" catering tupperware container on show (directly underneath burning hot spot light without a lid on it). The heating element behind the revolving elephants leg was not doing its job and there was a doner delay. The salad "ingredients" were of the standard I have come to expect from kebab shops but I was surprised that, given that this was their opening night, they would use such aged produce. The tomatoes were so old, they should have had a bus pass and I suspect that their iceberg lettuce was named in honour of the ship it was salvaged from rather than after any known variety. It was approx. 9.30pm with 6/7 customers but the 6 staff were in total disarray and orders were being mucked up right left and centre. I always have a chicken kebab and stress that I want it well done when I use one of these places but, as they were struggling, it was the 1st night and the elephant leg must, therefore, be relativeley fresh and I did not want to wait for 40 minutes, I had my 1st doner in about 30 years. I asked for LOTS of chillie sauce (to kill any bacteria) which I got but noticed his oppo filling up the pot from a Makro "value range" catering drum. When asked what salad I wanted, I requested just tomato, onion and red cabbage but 2 slices of lemon and plenty of pickled chillies. I couldn't believe it when he said "sorry sir, only 1 slice of lemon per custom allowed and we don't have any pickled chillies...delivery never come..should be here tomorrow - have nice day" I couldn't be arsed to point out to him that just 40 feet away was a Turkish deli that, amongst many other things, sold them by the catering jarfull at prices you would never find in Tesco/Asda/Lid etc. Based on what I saw tonight, that place will be closed within 6 months which is a real shame as it's previous incumbent went out of his way to make it the worst fish and chip shop in England and we all hoped this would be an improvement. It's not, at least the robbing thieves at the "Seamaster" down the road make an effort to sell you all their stale old crap fish, which I would not insult my cat by putting it in his bowl, and sell chips made from potatoes that my dad would consider unfit for use in his compost heap. ASH just sells crap and can't even be bothered to dress it up. Will be closed within 6 months unless it is just a cover for a muslim terrorist cell

Can't speak for the new kebab shop, but after hundred or so orders from Sea Master - I'm still awaiting that first piece of 'old and stale' fish..

So on that basis I think this is one review to be taken with a large pinch of old, stale salt.

jimbo1964 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I really hope it's better than this. I've been

> looking forward to a potential rival to Hisar.

> Will feedback when I've tried it out.

Hisar is a sit-down whilst Ash would seem to be a Take-Away. (according to the title of this thread)

So not likely to be or intended to be a rival.

DulwichFox

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Hisar is a sit-down whilst Ash would seem to be a

> Take-Away. (according to the title of this

> thread)

>

> So not likely to be or intended to be a rival.

>

> DulwichFox

Stupid comment. Of course it could be. I always get a take away from Hisar because I like their food. It doesn't matter where I choose to eat it.

jimbo1964 Wrote:

> I really hope it's better than this. I've been

> looking forward to a potential rival to Hisar.

> Will feedback when I've tried it out.

Hisar wins hands down but is too far from me, Sea Cow is far better than Seamasters where several friends have returned poor quality fish and their chips are not a patch on the Sea Cow's.

Archived