Which are the best girls state schools near Dulwich?

Sol

As with primary schools, getting your first choice of secondary school is a lottery. A work colleague wanted her child to attend a school which was around 20 minute bus ride away, got given a school miles away - 2 changes of buses. Did not win an appeal. After 2 years, eventually transferred her daughter to Harris at Crystal Palace - this meant that the younger child automatically was accepted at Harris. Both my daughters went to Sydenham Girls although 13 years difference in age, both received a good education and both went to University ( one to teach, one doing psychology)

Sol Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thank you. We are considering all the options:

> What's the charter like .... do

> kids go to university after they finish secondary

> school?

Is this actually a serious question Sol? If it is then it's surely a little insulting? The answer is of course they do!

Yes; distance is the main problem for most of the good states around Dulwich; we live in East Dulwich and are probably 1000 meters from the Charter, and a big further from Prendergast Hilly Fields and Haberdashers Aske's Academies Federation. I heard they are planning to open at Haberdashers Aske's in East Dulwich though.

Sounds like you're probably close enough to the Charter then - which is great. As other posters have said, children mostly do very well there and there's a lot to be said for attending your nearest school. I still think its worth looking around but sounds like you've a good chance.

My daughter has just started Charter and is v happy. Sydenham girls was 2nd choice. Charter has over 100 after school clubs or activities. Walking to school means those are easier. Great subject range and they teach A levels which gives depth to the teaching. Look at the % achieving A/A* in the different subjects. Charters results are astonishingly good. They get much better results with a 'lower' performing cohort at entry than eg Habs.

Sydenham girls looks on the up. Great to see that.

If you don't qualify under the religious criteria then forget schools like grey coats.

• 3 weeks later...
I went to Sydenham Girls. It's such a supportive atmosphere and the teachers are really enthusiastic and genuinely want to help. I think there's a great sense of community among the students, too. I was incredibly pleased with my GCSE results and I really enjoyed my time there. The new buildings will be amazing when finished.

If your child is in year 4 it's worth talking to parents in the years above her as they will be going through this process. We received a Primary times magazine at the beginning of the year and lots of the state schools open days were listed by borough so Southwark, Lambeth and Lewisham.

There are many websites that will show you the nearest state schools including distances from you. You will need to look at each schools admission policy as there is quite a lot of variance. Charter and Sydenham girls do distance, Kingsdale so a banding system with a kind of lottery!

My daughter is year 5 and I've seen Sydenham and Kingsdale so far and there are more open days at Harris Girls this week. The open days are all around this time of year as they are mainly provided for year 6 parents who will be applying by the end of this month for 2015 admissions. If you want to look then I'd suggest you find out when the open days are when your daughter goes into year 5.

Most of the schools locally seem to be quite decent and get above average results. Our current head and the 2 heads of schools I've visited have been at great pains to say you need to look around the school and check its a good fit for your child. Also be realistic that yes there's a choice but it's quite limited as they are all oversubscribed