zebra crossing on Barry Road

shelley 7229

If Tyrell Rd is where I think it is, Id walk upto the traffic lights outside Barrys then walk back down to Tyrell and proceed from there. How much of a detour is that?

ETA: As much as I'd like it, I cant go around laying down a magic crossing at every place that suits me so I have a direct route of where I want to get to.

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes ,Clockhouse end is my understanding as well .

>

> So if you got off bus at stop by pizza

> place/barbers and wanted to go down Tyrell Rd

> ,where would you cross ?

Quite a big detour actually . Especially if the junction of Tyrell and Barry Rd is not your end destination .

I think you shouldn't be posting in such detail - 50 yards etc - if you're not sure where roads are .

And I wasn't asking for magic crossings everywhere . Just saying that I could understand why someone attempting to cross Barry Rd near the junction with Peckham Rye might prefer a zebra in the vicinty as opposed to the island crossing . Particularly if mobility limited or with children .

So, mobility issues aside, how much of a detour do you estimate it is to follow the route I suggest to get across to Tyrell Road - Im going out in a minute and will time it!. I cant help you get further along the road once you get across, just offering a suggestion that its not a 2 day camel ride to walk upto the lights at Barrys.

I can see why another crossing at that end would be useful - although it's a TFL route from memory so you might get objections from them which would be a real issue for the council in trying to do something about it. However, I think a pedestrian/pelican type crossing would be better than a zebra. The problem with zebra crossings (in my experience) is that drivers do get frustrated if lots of people are crossing at the same time, and can tend to try and run them. Pelican crossings not so much.

HaHa...on leave and having a staycation. I've just returned from my "field trip". Walked at half my usual pace. From the bus stop, upto lights and back down to Tyrell. 2 mins 54 seconds. If I started the watch opposite Tyrell (as you would have to walk that far anyway) you can knock a minute off the time. I'd do that or more likely just cross the road when no traffic was coming. With buggy, I'd invest the 1 minute 54 and walk to the lights at Barry's.

Is there anything of interest happening north of the border..

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I can see us both pacing the streets with a stop

> watch soon ! But I think for accuracies sake you

> need to be pushing a push chair and have a three

> year old in tow -) .

>

> Slow day like mine boab ?

• 2 weeks later...
I stand corrected Shelly7229 as I thought you meant the Barry road parade outside Barry's store. Yes, you are bang on, a zebra is needed at the bottom but I would also like to re iterate that even if we peppered Barry Road with Zebras it still wouldn't deter the IDIOTS from racing along like it's the M1. As I said before even with the traffic lights motorists are going SO fast that they barely make the red stop light. I have lived here for 18 years and seen dozens of accidents on Barry Road. Surely a couple of well placed speed cameras would do the trick?