Is Rollier White a VIP pound shop

BargainBetty

Sorry to be old fashioned but when I visited Rolier White last week to buy some candles,they seemed to me indistinguishable from them thati bought down Rye lane at the pound shop. When i mentioned this to the staff they e xplained that these candles were imported specdially from italy and that they were handmade and exclusive to the shop. How can this be I wondered. they are exactly like the ones i bought in peckahm. They also sell things that the shop next door sell too, at a hugely inflated price. any one else noticed this about this shop? makes me wonder what else in the shop is a huge rip off.

Well we have some nice white crockery from RL. Seems like good quality to me. But maybe better to try to drive them out of business and get a new betting shop opened up instead (FFS).

'Turn them upside down on a flat surface and they wobble.

Clearly not quality crockery.'

Just a thought. As they're not meant to be used upside down this could be how they are supposed to be.. or that they aren't as mass produced as IKEA?

I did not say they were rubbish. They are labelled as being made by Maxwell Williams

which sells globally and has 500 outlets in the UK so would suggest to me to be mass produced.

They are serviceable but not high end porcelain.

Could not see Roullier White opening a shop on Rye Lane.. for example...

East Dulwich perfect.. People with money. Too much in my opinion.

There is nothing wrong with IKEA. Just scratch off the label and your guests will never know the difference

Just pretend.

Dulwichfox

BargainBetty Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sorry to be old fashioned but when I visited

> Rolier White last week to buy some candles,they

> seemed to me indistinguishable from them thati

> bought down Rye lane at the pound shop. When i

> mentioned this to the staff they e xplained that

> these candles were imported specdially from italy

> and that they were handmade and exclusive to the

> shop. How can this be I wondered. they are

> exactly like the ones i bought in peckahm. They

> also sell things that the shop next door sell too,

> at a hugely inflated price. any one else noticed

> this about this shop? makes me wonder what else

> in the shop is a huge rip off.

Strange that this is your first post on the forum, which leads me to suggest that you probably have some kind of personal grievance against RW.

We shop there a lot, get good service from the staff, SO you buy your bargain candles and enjoy them.

I'm buying mine at RW

Dear NewWave.. yes its true I am new to the area and this forum but I was simply trying to point out a fairly obvious example of how repackaging can dupe the innocent consumer- a prime example being Blah Blah. No personal agenda I assure you. I am sure that the lady who owns Roulier WHite is charming but she doesn't need to rip off people to run a decent and successful business

Just looked on their website. Betty, you will not get candles like these in the pound shop. As suspected some of their candles are soy and a have burn times of 40 hours. Those are standard prices for those quality of candles. I think you should retract your 'rip off' accusation.

Edited to add that I just looked on the suppliers website of the french candles and those are the prices the company charges if you buy direct from them. It took me all of five minutes to find that out Betty. You could have done the same before posting such ill informed nonsense.

There's quite a difference between candles (even if they look similar on the outside) some pump out loads of soot and toxins others burn "clean" it depends on what they have been made with. If you're going to be burning them for ages over a dinner table or seance then you probably want the more expensive ones. If you just want something on the mantlepiece to dust then poundshop probably does it.

I would estimate that most of the profit from candles goes to the manufacturer.

That profit would come from the Name.

A ?5.00 Candle made from hypothetical The Victoria Beckham Summer Elegance Range.

Could sell for ?30.00

Retailers would have to pay a high price and add on their bit.

Their bit would vary as to where their outlet was.

In ED that is likely to be at a premium.

DulwichFox

Archived