Southwark News - Dulwich Edition

Because the reviewer in the newspaper is someone whose judgment you trust and carries some sort of authority. And also because they write their reviews in a witty and entertaining style (which with all due respect to everyone on here is not something that can be said of the vast majority of postings on any given website).

People start buying a local newspaper when they are settled in an area, hence it fosters a sense of community and thrives off a community. Trouble is in London there are very few areas where people actually settle in numbers so they take little interest in the surrounding area and don't buy a local paper.

Penk - your mention of churnalism suggests you have at least a passing knowledge of Flat Earth News. My that was a p!sh book wasn't it?

``Penk'' it is not rose tinted. It is just not defeatist and dogmatic.

The answer is simply: for context and added value. Spitting half-accurate facts at a web-browser without context or comment isn't journalism.

True, content delivery must change and so be it. I have written to the local newspaper before, and have got things sorted out through it. In the very distant past I worked on one as a summer job for a few summers. Years later Im still a journalist and have worked across the trade.

As I spend my day in a news environment I tend to get a bit bored of lots the newspapers as they are, it is true, mostly repeating what I read or wrote the day before. Some have worked out they must be different from the web offering, others haven't. Some will die. Some will flourish.

I read all the papers for work, but the papers I choose to read are the Guardian, because it is more likely to have stories in it about the world in general that I didn't come across at work, and the locals, for a similar reason but in micro.

If you aren't prepared to support papers and pay for the printed word then you will end up with Metro and Fox News. Whether it comes via an Amazon Kindle or iPhone, a print-off PDF or the newsagent there will always be a place for publications telling you what happened yesterday or last week and why it happened, with the benefit of thought. Not just x happened 30 seconds ago. And a newspaper tells you what the editor thinks you should know about -- which is part of the service. The web gives you a menu of everything from everywhere now. Both are important. Both are different.

And to save this from the lounge, good luck Jumping Jounro. I'll be getting a copy asap.

Guys,

Really appreciate the comments and feedback.

In terms of wanting the Independent or Guardian - we are more independent than both!

We are the only paid-for independent left in London and are owned by two sprightly young chaps that live, work and play in the area.

The Southwark News group is a stringent supporter of the buy local, support local in terms of shops, businesses and services... in a similar way to Lordship Lane.

Hope you will give it a go, give it a read and help us build a community paper for the Dulwich and Herne Hill area.

Best wishes, JJ

PS - Keep up the good work on here.