Rodwell Road 1950's

Wardy

wardy - yes shephard not dodds, linda was like tony's main minder who would chase the rotten little sods away.

Herbert sounds familiar but I'm thinking charlie herbert ?

I think the Hughes were the hop pickers, they were a big family.

Don't remember the Gas Pots but I do remember humpty back, don't remember him dying though.

Where was Mickey Staines from ? Someone else has asked me about him.

After mum died, dad married again and we moved to pellatt. Eventually I moved out and got a place in Oakhurst Grove.

Never got married, too tight I suppose - More cash to spend on holidays, beer and toys for me :))

I've just walked up to Rodwell (driven up there loads of times) - It all looks so small - I can't have grown that much surely.

Anyway, I went up there to refresh my memory - didn't work, no extra memories. There is only one house in the Robinsons back garden not two and in case you're curious - EW is still there - You could have done it neater knowing it would be there for 50 years :))

All the shops and the Heber Arms are now flats, the corner Post Office is gone. OK that's enough bad news...............

diwhy: Mick Over the years the old mind seems to forget a lot. I do know that the Hugh?s family didn?t go hop picking, not something a strong Irish catholic family done I don?t think. The hop pickers lived in the last house on your side of the street just before you come to the wall where my name is carved, it was the only double fronted house in the road; I remember one of the family was called Brian. I always remember Tony for one day when we were paying cricket. I told Tony I was going in for my tea. As I turned towards my house he hit me over the head with the cricket bat; don?t remember a lot more. The Gas Pots lived next door to me. They had two daughters, a lot older then us. One of them was in the Salvation Army. The other thing I remember about them was one was very tall and slim and the other was short and fat. Now when it comes to Mickey Staines, I know him and his name but I can?t place him. I think he lived in one of the airys. By the way where does that word ?Airy? come from? It seems we are the only people who refer to basements using that word. Do you remember the black guy who bought a house opposite me, I think it was Jean and Charlie?s old house, they had a daughter called Gillian,, he painted all the bricks pink and the pointing white; it looked a real treat. Another family I remember is the Abel?s. They lived on my side of the street a couple of doors away. There was Reggie Abel and his brother. Again they were a lot older than us and they lived with there mum and Dad; the house always stunk of cat food. Next door to them was a house which was divided into two flats. On the bottom floor lived Arthur Sullivan and on the top floor lived Mr and Mrs Kemp who had a daughter, probably 10 years older then us, Margaret. What happen to Lyn Green? I?m coming down in the summer; I want to take some pictures and have a walk round to jog my memory. Do those bloody pigeons still site on the roofs of the houses, I spent hours caching them with a piece of cotton. Mick it?s good to be in touch and I must say I like your sense of humour. Wardy

Wardy - I remember the name Brian in the last house, that's also where the strange bloke lived that wrapped his rubbish up and dumped it.

And I remember Mrs Kemp, but that's about it I'm afraid.

Although I do remember catching pigeons with the cotton, I seem to remember you sticking the healthy ones in your loft.

I didn't notice a pink and white house when I walked round today - I think I would have - Time for another trip.

Lynne Green moved away and got married I think.

Marvelous isn't it, I can remember and old bloke wrapping his rubbish up but can't remember what happened to my own cousin :-$

All the best

Mick

Wardy - While having a couple of beers last night, suddenly remembered a couple of things............

The Irish family at about No.32 were not the Hughes (whoever they are) they were the Driscolls, I think the one in my class was at Heber was Philip, and the Herberts you were talking about were the family in the first house - Brian Herbert.

This has been an enjoyable week for me raking up all these memories, I wonder how long it will take for them to drift away again.

50 years ago, us kids' idea of technology was two bean tins and a bit of string stretched across the road and anybody who actually had a phone in their house must have been really posh.

Now children the same age we were have got mobile phones and computers - and men have actually landed on the moon (according to the yanks ;-) )

I always take my laptop on holiday and send emails and photographs from around the world - and I take it all for granted, although a little voice says I might think about it a bit more now - probably not.

Bloody hell, that was getting a bit deep, I think I need some caffeine

Mike the Irish family, if we are talking about the same family, were definitely not called the Driscolls, the only Driscolls I know are in the TV series Shameless. The Irish family Hughes lived on you side of the road dead opposite the Robinsons playing field, wall that is. There was Donald, Nile, Kieran and Mary. They moved into the road when we were about 6, 7 or 8 years old. I remember Nile always had a runny nose.

I don?t think it does any harm thinking about these things. I don?t live in the past but I do like to think about how things have changed and how much more we have today. Your right about people having phones. I think we were one of the first to have a phone in the street, dad got one because he started a building business. In those days you were put on a party line, you will know what that is. We had a phone for weeks before we got a call, mainly because nobody we knew had a phone so we had nobody to call us; dad would sometimes send me to the phone box to make a call home, just so he could make sure the bell on the phone still worked. Today my 6 year old grandson has his own mobile, a room full of electrical gadgets, including his own PC, TV ad I-Pod where will it stop. In our day we had a couple of marbles a catapult and pea shooter and that was about it, unless you lived up the posh end that is, then you probably had a bike and a clean collar on your shirt. Keep thinking Mick it does the old grey matter good and it?s a lot better then listening to the news on TV, that would send anyone barmy. Before I go do you remember the Houghton?s Terry, Brian, Josie, Maurine, Lesley, Jimmy, they lived on my side next to the corner shop.

Hello. I came across your web page yesterday and it made my day, all my childhood memories came flooding back. All the names you mention were my childhood friends. If you are who I think you are Wardy our mums were good friends. They used to travel up to County Hall early every morning to clean it. I have been on the phone to my family this morning and so imagine you will be getting a few more e-mails. My name is Josie Hawton and I lived at 33.

Josie, that?s me and I remember you all very well. It?s been over 40 years since our mums done that journey day after day in all weathers. As you can see there has been a lot of response to this thread; there is also another thread "Heber Primary School Memories" you will probably find that interesting to. I can still remember going out with Terry on the buses, we would buy a Red Rover and travel all over the place, sometimes we would get on you dads bus. I was trying to think of you neighbours name the other day, was it Cutler? I seem to remember old mother Cutler taking all the kids in the street out one day in the summer holidays. Do you remember the twins; they lived on the other side of the road, about number 18 I think. I now live in Norfolk and one of the twins lives just down the road, small world. Anyway good to hear from you keep in touch. Wardy

Hi Wardy, I am one of the "Hawtons" who lived next door to the shop in Rodwell Road, What a treat to recall all those old memories. One of my best friends were the Robinsons. I went to Heber Road School, and then to Thomas Carlton which was at Goodrich Road at the time. I understand iit has now moved.Do you remember going into "Dons" shop for a cream soda and ice cream drink. I shall look forward to reading more about my old home, by the way if you are the Ward I knew, How is Margaret? I am Joyce Hawton and I lived at 33 .

Joyce everyone is still alive albeit some are just. Margaret lives in America, Fred lives in Norfolk and June live by the seaside. Iv been married for 38 years have 4 children and 4 grandchildren. As you can probably tell from this forum I wrote a book about my childhood and posted a chapter. Since then I have had endless e-mails from people I know and from people I don?t know who are interested in what life was like in the 50?s. Mike Welham, can you remember him? has been a big contributor. I remember that cream soda with fondness; we still have it occasionally at home with a big dollop of ice cream. We have all come a long way; just communicating like we are now would have been unbelievable to our parents, most of us didn?t even have a phone. Good to talk to you Joyce. Keep in touch Eric.

Josie I think I remember you, If your dad was a bus conductor, he gave me his old wooden "ticket rack" when they changed over to the wind up ticket things.

Struggling to remember the rest of your family - and failing :'(

Mike Welham

Hi again Eric. I remember Michael well, I used to spend quite a bit of time in his house, I used to call his mum aunty Alice and his dad was referred to as uncle Henner, perhaps its because we couldn't say Henry properly. His nan old Mrs Green lived next door to him and his cousins Pat and Lynne lived opposite us. Yes it was the Cutlers that lived next door to us Mary and John and Mrs. West lived upstairs to them, she used to sit at her window watching the world go by! DO you remember when we were playing in the street on a Sunday afternoon, Mrs Cutler would call us in to watch Muffin the mule on their television, she would give us a peanut butter or chocolate spread sandwich. They had a red paisley style carpet we would sit on, I can see it now. In the cupboard in the corner they kept baby chicks until they were big enough to put out. I also remember when Pat Green got a television she would charge the kids in the street 1d each to go and watch it, I didn't have to pay as I was her best friend. Also next door to them lived Percy Halton, he was always being taken away as he would have funny turns, he would believe he was Jesus. You talked earlier about Charlie and Sis on the corner, Charlie would knock at our house every evening for my mum or dad to set his alarm clock for the morning as he couldn't tell the time or to read any letters he got,as he could't read or write either. So many memories have come flooding back, I could go on forever! Do you remember the night Heber Road school caught fire, all the kids were cheering as they thought they wouldn't have to go to school. Another thing I remember was all us kids going to saturday morning pictures, coming back and re-enacting it all over again. Vanessa Watts was always the heroin as she was the prettiest! I could go on and on. Something I couldn't believe is our old house is up for rent now and they are asking 427 pound a week for it, unbelievable! Must sign off for now but will be back. Josie.

Josie, I think all us kids who grew up in Rodwell have the same sense of humor. We all have funny stories to tell. I had forgotten about to Percy Halton. Many years ago I went back to Rodwell Rd and his house had a big hole in the roof; someone told me he put the hole there to let the pigeons in so they didn?t get cold. I remember the fire at Heber School very well, Have a look at the other thread ?Heber Primary School Memories? I put a story on there about the school and the fire. Crazy world isn?t it, I don?t suppose you mum and dad ever saw ?427 let alone every week. I think your story about Charlie and Sis is brilliant. We didn?t know at the time but thee people were real genuine characters, complete nutters but harmless to everyone, not like today. Thanks for sharing those memories.

Hi Wardy, Just remembering the time we had a Victory Celebration in the street and a lady who lived next door to Shirley Robinson put her radiogram in the front window so we could all dance to the music. I remember the record MY FRIEND by Eddie Fisher being played over and over again. Do you remember when Bobby Slade was chasing Margaret Kemp and as she ran indoors putting his arm through her glass street door. Not a pretty site.You must remember my Nan making bread pudding for all the kids in the street. Perhaps some of these memories go back further than you can remember as I was one of the oldest Hawtons.I lived in Rodwell until 1959 when I got married. We are having a get together next week when I have been married 50 years. I have 2 children and 3 grandchildren and 2 step grandchildren. Will keep in touch and tell Terry I have heard from you.

Farnham: Am I correct in thinking you are Leslie? You were, I think in the RAF for a while. Your name is sign in name is Farnham; is that where you live? I don?t remember the victory calibrations, but I do remember Margaret Kemp and Bobby Slade. If you are Leslie you would visit your mum and dad on a Saturday afternoon; don?t know why I remember that. The one I remember most vividly is Brian, he was always in overalls and under an old car doing some sort of repairs. When he got married my dad helped him get a flat next door to where I lived in the old house where the Gas Pots lived. Fifty years married that?s a long time; I do hope your calibrations go well, remember me to everyone. Wardy.

Hi Mike,

You probably wouldn"t remember the older members of my family, I would play with Pat Green and Vanessa Watts a lot, Lynne was a bit younger and not really in our group, I always picture her covered in chickenpox she had it soo bad! Vanessa and I used to take the babies from Rodwell for a walk in their prams, one of them was Barry Anderson, my favourite was Alan McPherson who lived down the airy opposite us. I can remember spending a lot of time in your house and your dad would read to us. Your mum worked at Dulwich hospital and brought me home a lovely blue coat one day which I was so proud of (don't know where she got it from}. I got knocked down by a motorbike in Lordship Lane when I was 9, Brian was taking Maureen, Terry and myself to see Genevieve the film, so I ended up in hospital for 2 weeks. Your mum took me for my check ups when my mum couldn't make it. Do you still see Pat and Lynne. Pat lived downstairs to my brother Brian at 23 after getting married to David Robinson. I often wonder where they all are now. Will keep in touch. Josie

Now that one has got me; who is Alan McPherson. Another one who was probably in your group Josie was Jennifer Scott. I remember Vanessa, as a little kid, I had a crush on her, pity she never took me for a walk in my pram. Mick and me remember a name "Micky Stains" but we cant figure out who he is, any ideas. Also, was it Percy Halton who had one arm or Sid Perkins? Wardy

Hi Wardy,

I don't think you would know Alan, he lived next door to Charlie, down the airy, his mum and dad were very private people. The last I heard of Jennifer Scott she was living in Pellatt Road. Micky Staines lived down the airy next door to the Hughes (on the left } I used to run over the shop and get his mum 2 weights (cigs) thats all she could afford. She had burn marks up her legs where she was always sitting in front of the fire. They moved to the North Peckham Estate after it was just built. It was Percy who had the one arm. Josie

Thanks for that Josie. If I remember correctly it was Mickey Staines that had a wardrobe fall on him, I think he was taken to hospital with a broken arm or something. I can also remember having a fight with him. I got the better of him, I was so proud, it was probably my first fight and I had won. I went home to tell my mum thinking she would be proud of me to; instead I got thick ear, yes I can remember Micky Staines now.

Hi Wardy, You mentioned David Robinson having twin sisters, they were in fact his cousins Yvonne and Brenda Weston who lived next door. Davids sister was Shirley. This has all been very interesting to me as I love to delve into the past. I am in fact researching my family history. I also remember walking home from the Elephant & Castle in thick fog and when we got to the top of Dog Kennel Hill it was as clear as day. Speak to you soon. Joyce

Hi Wardy, No I am not Les I am Joyce. I used to go about with your sister Margaret. Farnham is my married name.I live in South Darenth in a retirement village. Do you remember the meat pies Hilda used to bake on a Sunday afternoon. I can always see her now smoking her pipe in her favourite chair, mind you we had to climb on the back wall to see her. I dont think she would have been very pleased if she knew we were there.Do you remember Brenda Harley she lived at the end of Rodwell on our side. Hope you enjoyed your trip to Wales. Joyce.

I remember Hilda so well. She looked after me when I was little and mum was at work. I can remember crying in my room when she died. I can see her now sitting in her chair with her white hair. Wardy

Hi Wardy,

I have spent the last 3 days thinking about Rodwell and all the things we used to get up to. We would play knock down ginger but only knock at the houses we knew could get to the door, how thoughtful was we! I remember well that day out with Mrs. Cutler. You haven't mentioned Olive Robinson who lived downstairs to Jean and Charlie, by the way,I have seen them several times in Asda where I live, they moved to Sutton at Hone in Kent. The people in the last house were called Herbert, there was Maureen and Brian and I think their grandparents lived down the airy their name was Hawkins. There was also the Slades that lived near Mike. Do you remember the cobbler or we used to call him the snob opposite the Heber Arms, he always had a mouthful of nails and could speak to you at the same time. The Baileys lived upstairs to the shop. I remember Mr Marriott who lived opposite you, Jimmy broke his window with a catapult and then put the catapult down the drain and swore he hadn't done it. I have just been speaking to Terry, he is going over to the library as he is not online, he cannot wait to read your blog. He sends his regards and remembers the red rovers well. We also went hop picking a couple of times but Jimmy ended up in hospital at Pembury, he hurt his knee I believe.I can picture Margaret running up the road in the morning late for work still doing her hair as she went. I could go on and on but for now must close. Will be back Josie.

Josie, I remember Olive Harrison and her nearly deaf husband, not his name though. Olive once told mum that the doctor was sending her to the hospital to have her "brain scraped" - she was a "troubled" lady.

I remember playing knock down ginger on the family that live upstairs to Hilda, I think after she died and the shop was sold, it was me and someone else (I suspect Eric) and we tied a bit of cotton to the knocker and hid behind the wall in Cyrena. Still amazed how we never got caught.

I lost touch (and forgot) almost everyone in the street, including relatives but I did once bump into my uncle Pat (Lyn and Pat's dad) one day when I was doing some work in a carpet warehouse in Peckham.

Also I had a chat with Barry Anderson in the Uplands pub a few years ago - he was about 20 years old - I think you'd have struggled to wheel him around then.

Jennifer Scott now lives around Bromley with her husband, they have two sons, both got their own businesses. Still see them fairly frequently.

Mike