soundproofing

PatriciaPT

I'm trying to find a way of reducing the noise levels for my neighbour in the flat above. I am a singer and although they have not complained, I'm aware that when I practise below it must sometimes be very irritating, and this inhibits me from practising as much as I would like. I'm in a converted Victorian house - conversion done in the 80s and therefore not subject to current soundproofing regs. I don't want to have to have the ceiling down but could afford to lose a few inches of the height. Any help would be appreciated.

Have you asked your neighbour if they find your singing irritating? I used to live next door to an opera singer and his practising never bothered me. He practised at regular times and never during unsocial hours. Maybe you just need to have a friendly chat with your neighbour and see what works best for both of you...

Kind of you to say so KidKruger. Yes red devil - thank you - we have talked and although she has been accommodating I can tell she'd rather not have me singing what is certainly not her kind of music. Wow, I'd love to live by an opera singer. Horses for courses I guess. I do avoid unsocial hours but I need to get into a better rhythm of regular times.

Shouldn't be too expensive to install a lowered ceiling with acoustic insulation, sound bloc plasterboard and plaster.. It is messy though and you will need to redecorate the entire room where it's installed.

Google soundbloc for more info. I have used it on our projects before and It is very effective.

Might be easier to do it from the upstairs flat and take up the floorboards (does depend what flooring they have down though). Worth asking. They might be happy for a couple of days of inconvenience in return for better sound insulation.