Nervous about a my sash window quote

benners

Hello ED - I have been quoted for a replacement Victorian Bay Sash window and wanted to know whether anyone thinks my quote is too high or about right.

It is quite a large bay with one central sash and a static window either side - removal of the old wooden frame and replaced with UPVC.

The quote is ?4,000 (inc. VAT)

It seems like a lot, but perhaps this is simply what is costs. Many thanks everyone.

We had our bay done for a slightly lower cost (over ?3k but can't remember the exact price). sash bay windows are expensive as there are three separate windows. We used 1st scenic and highly recommend them. They were the only company who could offer the continuous (one piece horns on the dash). Four years on we still love our windows. I would always recommend getting a second quote. http://www.1stscenic.co.uk/

Thanks edcam and twinsmom. I agree that getting other quotes is always advisable, but wanted to ask some opinions as a lower quote may simply mean lesser quality (after all I have nothing as a comparable). I actually used 1st Scenic for the windows at the back of the property and did not have a terribly good experience with them unfortunately (otherwise I would most likely have used them again).

Appreciate the response however and have called a few other places.

If anyone else has recently had a quote (or gone ahead and had windows fitted) I would be really interested to know what they paid please.

No problem but for upvc I'm afraid I don't as I can't stand them personally on period properties, but don't go with any big companies choose a small locally based supplier and fitter there's one in brockley near crofton park station, personally I would not touch upvc windows they devalue a period property another alternative is keeping and refurbishing an repainting the original windows and possibly having them draught proofed changing all the staff and parting beads, companies will do this for around ?200 per window for the draught proofing then your looking at around another ?800-1000 to repair any rot and repaint them by some one like myself. For new wooden sashes I would go to the place on north cross road called runcent joinery. And whatever you do don't get softwood spend the little extra and get hardwood.

If you need any free advice just PM me

All the best Gary

Try Paul Higgins at Scenic Glazing 020 8695 2676. Had similar sounding Sash bay window done by him about 3 years ago and was less than half that price. I was delighted with his work. Bespoke Windows also quoted & they were ?500+ more than Scenic but still cheaper than your quote.