Shocking Sight (boys stabbing a wheelie bin) (Lounged)

HAL9000

Huguenot Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If you reckon you're a leftie

I don't. Where on earth do you get that idea from, anyway? I've visited enough police states to know that they can flourish at both ends of the political spectrum.

> I bet you can't even spell Solzhenitsyn.

I wouldn't class jumping to conclusions as delusional, but it's a step in that direction.

In fact, I wasn't citing a political colour but rather referring to the psychological preferences and personality attributes known as Right-Wing Authoritarianism:

Authoritarian submission ? a high degree of submissiveness to the authorities who are perceived to be established and legitimate in the society in which one lives.

Authoritarian aggression ? a general aggressiveness directed against deviants, outgroups, and other people that are perceived to be targets according to established authorities.

Conventionalism ? a high degree of adherence to the traditions and social norms that are perceived to be endorsed by society and its established authorities, and a belief that others in one's society should also be required to adhere to these norms.

There's no doubt that these attributes characterise many of the opinions expressed within this thread.

Au contraire. In fact with much respect you're quite simply wrong on every point.

There's not been one person who has suggested that the boys should be chastised because the government or the police said so.

There's also quite simply no evidence of authoritarian aggression: the authorities are manifest only by the vacuum of their non-appearance.

Finally, not one person has suggested that boys should stop practicing assaults on wheelie bins because it's not traditional or normal - although they have suggested that the abnormality may be a pointer to other issues.

Everyone who suggested the boys should be collared have done so because the behaviour was threatening, showed a disregard for other people, and possibly demonstrated a willingness to progress to more violent crime.

There's something quite disturbing, HAL9000, about how you've managed to reinvent these characters from something you initially found legitimately frightening, into heroes of some sort of working class anti-authority revolution.

It shows a willingness to rewrite history to meet your own macabre ends. Very disturbing.

I admire your anal retentiveness. Your first attempt to politicise the argument failed miserably. Undeterred, you bounce right back with another mish-mash of verbal diarrhoea that merely demonstrates an even deeper lack of comprehension: unless you are trying to argue that I am more authoritarian that the majority of posters on this thread, you'd do well to stop digging.

The fact that you are "disturbed" does not bother me at all. I'm entirely satisfied with the outcome: the boys were chastised ? end of.

If you have a relevant and fresh issue to raise in this debate - go ahead. Otherwise find someone who was born yesterday to draw into a faux political argument.