What are make up bag essentials?

Pickle

I'd recommend lipstick queen for lipstick. They do a lipstick shape balm range which is moisturising, subtle and stays in place wihout being gunky. I also wasn't a lipstick gal but its changed my attitude. I'd second Nars blusher stick too, lasts for years. Another staple of mine is eyebrow wax to repaint those eyebrows over plucked in teenage years ...

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to thank everybody that took time to reply. We were in Docklands today, and I went to Boots at Canary Wharf - they have makeup counters and were really quiet.

I bought a Clarins 3 dot eyeliner, and had a long consultation with Bare Minerals. Really helpful girl, put me at ease. On her suggestion I bought a small "warm" colours kit (eye colour, lip colour, blusher etc) and she gave me a big bag of samples to take away and try. Also got a Max Factor mascara, on her recommendation.

I've had a play and now look like I'm ready for a night out (I think I've done ok!), but true to form life with kids means I am sitting watching SpongeBob!

OH - the bare minerals ladies in CW are lovely! Its great for a shop at the weekend and the big boots on the otherside of the shopping complex to Bare Minerals has loads of counters.

They have a bobby brown and Space NK shop there as well - I love the bobbi brown shimmer brick as I sometimes use the lighter colours on my eyes.

I do recommend smashbox (at the back in the larger boots at CW) - they have a great primer (I use the light one) and eye primer (keeps eye shadow in place and stops it going in creases) for when you want to look especially glam x

Loving this thread. Belle I recently bought a couple of Charlotte Tilbury eyeshadow crayons and still working on the technique - it doesn't look like the tutorial results QUITE yet :-0

I got accosted by a Trish McEvoy salesperson in Selfridges recently and bought their eyeshadow base and also their under eye brightener - which you apply in a sort of big upside down triangle under your eyes - I was a bit skeptical but I'm pretty impressed!